Alternative indie rock band Fishtank, who have released a track recently titled "Feels So Good", discussing more input on themselves, this track, and plans ahead.
1. Where did you get the idea for the band name, you planned it or came out just like that?
We were in the pub one night discussing band names and Tali’s partner suggested one of us is a tank and the other drinks like a fish, so we should call the band Fishtank
2. Why did you want to play this genre?
We’re both fans of electro music and classic prog rock – Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. so it seemed a natural fit to take bits from both and combine to make something new.
3. Did you know each other before the band was formed?
We’d worked and gigged together in a band for a few months before that outfit collapsed. We wanted to carry on working together and thus Fishtank was born.
4. Who or what inspires you to write songs?
All sorts of life situations can be inspiring, be it sounds in nature inspiring a melody or rhythm to the loss of loved ones or the break-up of relationships. Everything is fair game. :)
5. What are your songs about, and does the band write their own material?
We write all the material, with the exception of the lyric to the title track of the album. This was written by the late British poet Laurie Stevens. All the songs are about different things – "Watercolours" for e.g. is about the relationship between the young and the old whereas "Keep Looking" is about the frustrations modern day online dating....
6. Can you tell me the story behind the track titled "Feels So Good"?
We’d been listening to a load of disco tunes from the late 70's and started playing with some vintage synth arpeggiators to try and recreate the feel. Once we’d got something we were into Tali came up with a lyric in that style – simple but effective.
7. While the band's name is Fish Tank, do any of the band members have any fond memories or experience any sort of fish tank?
Chris had a fish tank when he was a kid, it had some guppies in it and an Angel fish. He was very proud of the Angel fish.
8. If each of the band members were to pick a species of fish to be, which would it be and why?
Chris would be a salmon because he’s always trying to swim upstream. Tali would be a shark, cos you don’t mess with sharks.
9. That track "Feels So Good", comes off your debut album "Why Am I Swimming Around Like This?", which has been out for a while, have anything new in the works?
We’re currently working with British producer George Shilling on four new songs – this may become an EP or just the start of the next album. We’re very pleased with how the new songs are developing at the moment.
10. What other plans does the band have for this year?
We have around 20 songs written for the next album, so we’ll be spending the rest of the year working on those. We may do some gigs later in the year but are open to offers.