Sacred Oath an act that has been around since the late 80's to the present day. Eight albums down with a whole lot more in-store, this isn't the end. It is more of a continuation of their musical careers with their latest full-length and eighth to date "Twelve Bells". Guitarist and backing vocalist Bill Smith talks of the "Twelve Bells" as well as what the band has been up too since we last spoke way back in 2009!
1. First of all, who are you, and what do you do in the band?
Bill: My name is Bill Smith, and I play guitar and do some backing vocals.
2. It's been 8 years, since we last spoke and did our first and second interviews, this is our third interview, so can you give us a brief summary as to what the band has been up too between then and now?
Bill: In that time, we’ve released 5 albums. And now we have a whole new album in the can and ready to be unleashed!
3. "Till Death Do Us Part" was your only live album released back in 2008. Since then no other releases have come about, how come, do you plan to change that?
Bill: We’ve discussed that casually, I believe all of us are ready to cut another live album! The logistics of it all makes things pretty difficult. When we performed at the Keep It True festival in 2007, there were people recording the entire event. So fortunately, we didn’t stink that night and the recordings were usable. We have a bunch of dates lined up to support this upcoming album, so it would be killer if we could work something out. I’m on board at least!
4. During one of our previous interviews, you were asked about doing a live DVD, did that ever happen? Would you still consider or like to do one?
Bill: We haven’t released anything yet, but I certainly think it would be a great opportunity for us. Our live shows tend to be pretty energetic, and it would be great to capture some footage so we can see our ugly mugs on film.
5. “Twelve Bells” is your eighth full-length to date, what comes to mind when hearing such a thing?
Bill: It’s crazy, isn’t it? This will be my fourth studio album with the band, and I can certainly see how much I’ve grown as a musician and as a person since I joined the band as a 19 year old kid. Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess….
6. Out of the eight full-length albums under Sacred Oath's belts, which of these would you say is your favorite?
Bill: Besides the new one of course, I would say World On Fire is a personal favorite of mine. That album meant a lot to me when we made it, it was almost a coming of age kind of deal for me. I’m so happy with the way that one came out.
7. What do you think is the most underrated Sacred Oath album?
Bill: I would say Fallen, without a doubt. It is by far the darkest album that this band has released, and it included the classic Crystal Vision lineup to commemorate the 25th anniversary of that album’s release. Let’s just say that Rob was in a dark place at that point. The Sandy Hook tragedy occurred while that album was being created. This band is based out of Bethel, CT, which is a neighboring town of Sandy Hook. Fallen was dedicated to those who lost their lives on that fateful day, and paints a grim picture of the state of mankind. Even though I didn’t play on it, I think it’s the band’s most underrated album, hands down.
8. Back in 2009 you were releasing your material via Angel Thorne Music, are you still with them or have you switch labels and all that jazz.
Bill: We still work with Angel Thorne, which now has distribution through Caroline.
Bill: We have numerous shows coming up, and we’re looking to spread out to new territory this time. We’re looking to play in places that we haven’t come to in years, or new markets all together. We’ve added a new touring member named Damiano Christian, and he really has brought new life to our sound. It’s been a pleasure having him on board! And, of course, we have our new album slated for release May 12th. Twelve Bells on the 12th!
10. Would you like to say anything more to the fans out there?
Bill: Thank you so much for all of your support and devotion over the years, we can’t wait to come to a city near you and party! Sacred Oath is stronger than ever!