Pop punk rockers DOLL SKIN have just released their newest and latest single called "Shut Up (You Miss Me)", off their sophomore release "Manic Pixie Dream Girl". The follow-up album to their debut release "In Your Face (Again)" (2016). Drummer Meghan decides to take some time to play 20 questions with us, find out what is said about this single, the new album, and summer plans plus much more!
1. What role do you play in the band? Can you give us a brief summary as to how the band came to be?
Meghan: My name is Meghan and I'm the drummer! When I was a junior in high school, there was a battle of the bands called Rock Revelation that I wanted to take part of. I rounded up my friends that I met from School of Rock Scottsdale and we competed in the battle. We ended up getting first place out of 15 bands! David Ellefson of Megadeth (our now manager) was judging the competition that night and fell in love with us. A year later, after playing around the valley of Phoenix and competing again, he wanted to manage us!
2. Why go with a name like DOLL SKIN? Does it have a meaning to it?
Meghan: It really doesn't have any significant meaning. All we know is that when we were naming the band we wanted something "creepy but cute". We wanted Doll to be in the name for sure. Someone said skin (we still don't know who), and there it was!
3. What has influenced your sound and style?
Meghan: Get ready for a big list: My Chemical Romance, NOFX, Paramore, Rancid, Led Zeppelin, UNDEROATH, Avenged Sevenfold, Letlive., Refused, Bikini Kill, Dead Sara, And so much more.
4. What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Meghan: We don't necessarily stick to one topic in our lyrics. This new album "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" totally sounds angry though. We're all over the maps. Could be about heartbreak, revenge, injustices, stresses, all that stuff.
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
Meghan: Absolutely. We would be pissed if someone else wrote our songs for us. The songwriting process could be sporadic and spontaneous, or songs could take weeks at a time. I come into practice with lyrics, Alex and Nicole will come in with riff ideas, Sydney will come in with cool melodies and licks on the guitar. We gel really well!
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Meghan: Angry, energetic hard rock.
7. Why did you want “Shut Up (You Miss Me)” to be made into a single? Will there be an accompanying video for it?
Meghan: Shut Up was suggested to us to be the main single first, and so we trusted it and went in for the ride! It's a very fun song to kick things off for this new adventure we're about to take with Manic Pixie Dream Girl, being released on 6/16/17! The music video is out RIGHT NOW HERE!
8. You will soon be releasing your new album "MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL". How does "MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL" and your debut efforts "IN YOUR FACE (AGAIN)", differ, compare, and equal to one another?
Meghan: In Your Face (Again), for us, was our first debut to the world, so were scared shitless. We had no idea if what we had written was good or not. We adore IYFA, but it barely even scratched the service of what we wanted to put out to the world. Manic Pixie Dream Girl is our baby and we are so insanely proud of it. It showcases us to our fullest ability and we're counting the seconds until we can show you our work!
9. What is the concept behind the album and how did the idea come about?
Meghan: This album was inspired by a slam poem by Olivia Gatwood called Manic Pixie Dream Girl. In it she explains what an MPDG is, which is a quirky female character in a movie or book that is there only to "help the male lead discover himself". In the album, we explore how a woman can be the star of her own story, and push through the statistic. She can be her own hero, her own boss, her main focus. We have a song called "Rubi" on the record that helps expand how strong a woman really is. We also explore other topics that piss us off. We got really angry for this album and we're so happy we did.
10. What is your favorite song on the record and why?
Meghan: It's a tie between "Daughter" and "Punch A Nazi". They both have really strong messages, and give me some room to get heavy and aggressive with my playing.
11. What can fans expect from the new album?
Meghan: ANGER AND NONSTOP ENERGY.
12. What was the writing and recording process like for this album?
Meghan: The writing process was a long one because we didn't have a concept in mind for a while, and we weren't angry enough. Once we got pissed, writing was easy. Evan Rodaniche from Cage9 produced/recorded this album and he did an absolutely incredible job. He really brought our idea to life!
13. Why do you think people should check out your new album once released?
Meghan: It the most proud I've ever been of any of our work. It holds a special place in my heart, you just gotta check it out.
14. How would you say you differ from other bands and artists on the scene?
Meghan: We're best friends. Some bands on the road are bands that were spliced together. You can tell on stage when bands are friends with each other because they have a certain awkwardness and the show isn't tight. If you aren't best friends with each other, your show and music will suffer.
15. You will be a part of this summer's Vans Warped Tour, would you say that this tour is a dream come true?
Meghan: ABSOLUTELY. All of us have been attending Warped Tour since we were in our early teens. We can't believe we got offered this tour and we all cried when we found out it was happening!
16. Have you all attended the Vans Warped Tour before and know of all it's contents?
Meghan: Yes!! It's been in our teen years for a long time. We love Warped!
17. Where were you when you received word that DOLL SKIN would be spending summer at Vans Warped Tour?
Meghan: In my kitchen. I screamed and jumped around the whole house. My mom has video, it's great.
18. What would be one of the acts you just have to see while being a part of such a tour this summer?
Meghan: STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO. I am soooo pumped for that. And Fire From The Gods. We toured with them for a while so we're so excited to join them again!
19. What does next year hold for you?
Meghan: Oh don't make me think that far ahead. My brain will explode.
20. What makes DOLL SKIN, DOLL SKIN?
Meghan: Energy, passion, we're best friends, we're dedicated, we ready to go anywhere and do anything for this dream.