MATREKIS have been around for some time now, releasing material in terms of an EP and a couple of full-lengths, with plans currently on working upon album number three. That is all that matters for the band as of now, with other thoughts of extensive touring in support of said release to happen soon enough. Frontman vocalist Mike Annis talks about the band's past, present, and future in terms of their hard rock heavy metal style of tunes.
1. Please tell us about the history of your band and its members.
Mike: Matrekis was formed in Oct. 2009 when the original members were a part of a different band and had to pull the gig off without the founding member of that band. We figured WTH, we may as well reform and run our own show!
2. What’s the origin of the band’s name?
Mike: Original bassist, Ty Hall, named the band after the screen name of one of his video games. But not before making Hair search for an entire weekend for this so called Greek Warlord of Heavy Metal lol!
3. Where is the band based out of and what is your music scene like there? Are there any local bands you could recommend?
Mike: Matrekis is based out of St. Paul, MN. The music scene in the twin city area is loaded with outstanding bands. Unfortunately, like may other areas, we are slowly watching our live music venues close their doors!
4. How would you describe your style?
Mike: Matrekis music style I like to consider that of an Old School Traditional Metal with a twist of new age in it. METALLICA, IRON MAIDEN, BLACK SABBATH PANTERA, BLS... for example.
5. What have you released so far and what can someone expect from your works?
Mike: Matrekis has a 5 song EP out entitled "END OF TIME" and our most recent full length "KILL YOUR CAPTOR". Listeners can expect to hear a roller coast ride of emotions. Each song has a different temp, melody, mood.
6. Do you have any new music in the works?
Mike: Yes we are currently in the works of album number 3.
7. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out?
Mike: We play local and regional shows. In support of the new album we have visited Texas, Kansas, California, WI. etc. We would like to do a more extensive touring in support of the album soon.
8. What plans do you have for the future as a band?
Mike: Get this third album locked down and set out on a supporting tour.
9. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?
Mike: All physical copies are available by emailing email@example.com or hitting up the Matrekis Facebook page. Digital downloads are available through all major outlets, iTunes, CD Baby, Rhapsody etc.
10. What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?
Mike: That every song is actually a trye story. No songs on the "KILL YOUR CAPTOR", album are made up versions of someone else's life but rather something that a member in the band has gone through. Thank you for your interests and questions for Matrekis! Visit us at www.facebook.com/matrekis.