Japanese electro act SEVER BLACK PARANOIA, have released their latest album to date "ELIZA", with plans on releasing more new music and even much more! Frontman vocalist Daisuke discusses the album, how the band came to be and what the future holds.
1. First of all, who are you, and what do you do in the band?
Daisuke: My name is Daisuke, vocalist in SEVER BLACK PARANOIA and in charge of the songwriting in this band.
2. Let's talk a little about the history of your band. When did you originally form and is this the original line-up?
Daisuke: In 2009 we formed this band. Two people have left from that time, the drummer and the guitarist.
3. Do you remember how the idea of forming the band first came up?
Daisuke: I remember it. I wanted to make music that is a mix of trance and metal.
4. How long after you formed was it until you played your first live show?
Daisuke: First of all, I had to listen to the songs I made with the band to members. Then, we practiced the songs in the music studio. We gave our first live-show three months later in Tokyo (Shibuya Cyclone).
5. What are your memories of the performance?
Daisuke: Bassist Jun, broke a rib in the middle of the set. The injury has healed now.
6. How would you categorize the style of the band?
Daisuke: It is ‘Dark Electro Core’. In our music, there are a lot of electro sounds.
7. You decided to go with calling yourselves SEVER BLACK PARANOIA, what does it suppose to represent or mean?
Daisuke: Paranoia is a sense of delusion. "Disconnect the delusion, facing the reality.” We thought about something like that.
8. What has influenced your sound and style?
Daisuke: It is CELLDWELLER. I listened to his work and was longing to do something like him.
9. What lyrical theme do you guys use in your music? What message do you want to send?
Daisuke: I sing about mental things. When I have a painful thought, I put this in my work. When fans are painful in the same way, they can blow away that feeling by listening to this work.
10. Can you tell me a little bit about your album "Eliza"? Who is Eliza is it referring to an actual person or is it just a namesake.
Daisuke: I wanted to adopt the name of the woman in the album title because in a lot of the sounds a female voice was used.
11. What is the concept behind the album and how did the idea come about?
Daisuke: In the middle of making “Insanity” (Track 2) I came up with the concept. I was coming up with the concept that combines the beauty and madness. In ”E-Virus” (Track 5), I was able to best express it.
12. What is your favorite title on the record, whether it'd be the album's title or a song title and why is that?
Daisuke: I think of the title from the sound and my mind. To determine the song title while making. Because, I want to cherish the inspiration.
13. What can fans expect from the new SEVER BLACK PARANOIA album?
Daisuke: Everyone should be impressed on the accuracy of the sound. It became the most intense sound that we also like.
14. Why do you think people should check out your new album once released?
Daisuke: Rock fans in Europe, do you know the Japanese bands? Our music among them is rare. Since the trancecore has a high level in Europe, they want to listen to our work as well.
Daisuke: Performance is the most important. We shake our heads, raise our hands, make and sing in a loud voice. That way, the fans will do it in the same way.
16. What does next year hold for SEVER BLACK PARANOIA?
Daisuke: I'm going to release new work next year. I have already completed a demo of the few songs. Please look forward to the announcement.
17. How would you say you differ from other bands and artists on the scene?
Daisuke: I think my shouts (guttural) is special and we have adopted the Japanese lyrics because we want to cherish the words of ourown country. They are, I think, different from the other Japanese bands.