Infrared is a Thrash Metal band from Ottawa Ontario Canada formed in 1985 and recently reunited in 2014. That said, the band got together again, to work on new tunes, play some shows, and much more that they have in-store.
1. Please tell us about the history of your band and its members.
The beginning of Infrared was formed in 1985, with Kirk and Armin writing some riffs and creating some songs. Alain Groukx quickly became the drummer and Shawn Thompson the bassist. Over the next few years the band recorded a demo and shot a video which was played nationally in Canada but then by 1988, after a few lineup changes, the band fizzled out.
27 years later, we reformed for a reunion show with Mike Forbes on bass since Shawn now lives in Miami. The show went very well, so we decided to record all the songs properly and the result was the No Peace album released in March of 2016.
2. What's the origin of the band's name?
Truth be told, it came from a Megadeth lyric from the Killing is My Business song.
3. Where is the band based out of and what is your music scene like there? Are there any local bands you could recommend?
We are based out of Ottawa Canada. The scene is quite healthy, as it is throughout Canada. We have made a lot of friends with other bands just as passionate about metal. We have played shows with Vyc Vypyr who are awesome guys, and Drillpoint was a great local band, although now not together. Who knows, maybe they will reunite. And of course, we have to mention the big hitters Exciter and Annihilator who both call Ottawa home.
4. How would you describe your style?
Definitely classic thrash metal. If you like the early Big 4 material, you will get our style. There are some punk influences in our early material.
5. What have you released so far and what can someone expect from your works?
We have a 1986 and 1988 demo tape (both pretty much the same demo except 1998 had a newer version of one of the songs on it), and we have our 2016 No Peace album. The album is made up of 11 of the old classic thrash songs with a heavy modern production to it.
6. Do you have any new music in the works?
For sure. We have so many riffs and song ideas plus a few old songs we would like to revisit.
7. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out?
We are playing shows. A couple in our home town, one with the great Anvil in September and also shows in Kingston and some planned for Quebec. We are just waiting to iron out the details for those.
8. What plans do you have for the future as a band?
Shows, a second album, and just lots of fun playing and writing more metal.
9. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?
We are pretty much everywhere. Spotify, YouTube, CDBABY, iTunes, bandcamp, etc. Just search on Infrared No Peace and you will find us.
10. What is it you'd like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?
That we are authentic, that you can hear we really mean what we play.