Kissing Candice started as a mere vision in early 2012. Ex-Dr. Acula keyboardist and sample mastermind, Joey Simpson, was looking to start a project that would combine metal, hardcore, industrial and electronic music in a unique and cinematic fashion. Taking on the role of frontman, Joey brought together members to create what Kissing Candice has become today. Releasing a couple of EP's and a full-length with extensive touring, shows, and more on the horizon, there is no stopping these guys from doing what they love! Frontman vocalist Joey Simpson himself took the time to discuss with his, the band's beginning's, middle's and the end to the future?
1. First of all, who are you, and what do you do in the band?
Joey: Hey my name’s Joey! And I'm the front man (screams).
2. Let's talk a little about the history of your band. When did you originally form and is this the original line-up?
Joey: I started KC in 2011 after quitting my old band I immediately entered the studio with producer / song writer Jeremy Comitas. We wrote the 1st EP called "Murder". After finishing it I started to look for members. This band has been through a few line up changes. Some have stayed and some have gone. It's not easy wearing a mask and jumping around on stage.
3. Do you remember how the idea of forming the band first came up?
Joey: I always wanted to do a Theatrical horror band . It was going to just be a side project kinda thing. Iv always had a love for anything horror/ Halloween and dressing up and just being weird .
4. How long after you formed was it until you played your first live show?
Joey: Our 1st show as a full band was the summer of 2012, our very 1st 3 shows in a row was a date on the " All stars tour", and 2 back to back days on Knot fest"
5. What are your memories of the performance?
Joey: Nervous as fuck!! These were all big shows. Packed out. And this was the 1st time playing out as a band. We had a few kinks but over all we killed it.
6. How would you categorize the style of the band?
Joey: A little of this and a little of that. Mixed with a bunch of weird dudes on stage in creepy masks.
7. Why the name Kissing Candice? Does Candice, refer to an actual person? What about the "kiss" symbol that's plastered here and there within the band, is that Candice's kiss? What does the kiss symbolize?
Joey: It's a LONG story but to the point Candice was a real girl I went to high school with. I really liked her I kissed her one time and after that nothing ever happened. So to me that one kiss was a make or break kinda kiss. I wish I could tell you we ended up together . But we didn't haha.
8. Who are your influences and how have they shaped your bands sound?
Joey: Slipknot is my biggest influence. Not only because of the masks. But the chaos on stage. The aggressive music. Their stage show blew my mind. Same with bands like Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson. Big production is the key.
9. What lyrical theme do you guys use in your music? What message do you want to send?
Joey: We always send out a positive message. Question everything . Think for yourself, it's ok to be who you want. Don't take shit from anyone. And then we have some songs that are based on horror movies. We like to throw them in the mix a little.
10. Let's talk a little about your latest release, what are the listeners in store for with this release?
Joey: Blind Until We Burn has an overall positive message for everyone . It's got it's heavy parts and it's catchy parts. Over all it's a fun album.
11. What is the concept behind the album and how did the idea come about?
Joey: It's a simple meaning. That in life we are all blind to things . Everyone at some point is blind to things around them and sometimes it's to late and we get burned.
12. What was the writing and recording process like for the album?
Joey: It was a good time. We had lots of good ideas. Some made the album And some are on the back burner for the next record. I must say the snow storms that we got hit with while tracking the album sucked. It delayed the process for a few days.
13. Why do you think people should check out your latest album?
Joey: It's something new and fun. If you like different and outside the box we might be the band for you.
14. Do you have anything new in the works, in terms of a follow-up release?
Joey: Yeah we have a brand new song we hope to release this summer. And possible pre-production for new album in the fall/winter.
15. How do you promote your band and shows?
Joey: Lots of socials media. These days everything is on the Internet . We also like to. Hit up shows in our masks and hand out flyers.
16. How do you rate your live performance ability?
Joey: You can expect everything and anything.
17. What does 2016 have in store for Kissing Candice? What are you most looking forward to this year?
Joey: Summer tour!!!!
18. Do you have any last comments for our readers?
Joey: Buy our music. Buy all music. Keep music alive. And come to our live shows!