Alternative rockers with a touch of soul known as Asila, is a female fronted act, whose recent work's consist of a single called "Resistance", off an upcoming album titled "Acid Rain, out sometime this year. The band got together to disclose the matters about themselves, the single, and its accompanying album.
1. Let’s start off with an icebreaker. If you could describe your band in 3 words, what would they be?
Soulful, Energetic, Emotive.
2. What are your names and what do you do in the band?
Hana Muftic - Vocals
Richard Globisch - Guitars
Adrian Patterson - Bass
Taryn Young - Drums
3. You went from being called Revery to Asila, why the name change, what does this represent or symbolize for the band?
Over the years Revery has had numerous band member changes and with that a lot of change in terms of the sound. With Taryn joining we solidified our sound. After recording the first album, which consisted mainly of songs written over the previous 3 years, we felt we needed a new name to signify the new sound and new chapter of the journey of the four of us.
4. How do you think this name change will suite the band going forward and what does the name mean?
Asila is a girls name and also means "purity". We feel it suits us as the name is quite unique and hopefully also memorable.
5. What type of band are you and what music do you play?
We consider ourselves an alternative rock band with some soul and funk influences. Some of our songs are quite hard rock with lots of layers while others are more fun and groovy with lots of funk influenced rhythms.
6. What are your songs about?
Hana writes all the lyrics and she is very secretive about the meanings. So you'll have to come listen and decide for yourself. But they are from her personal experiences and her life's story.
7. Do you write your own songs?
We do. Richard generally writes the music and Hana will write lyrics, melody and backing vocals over that. Adrian and Taryn will come in once the songs have some shape to add their sound and style to the mix.
8. Who are your musical influences?
The bands influences vary quite a lot from old school Soul to Pop to Rock and Metal. Some names would be Aretha Franklin, Incubus, Iron Maiden, Muse.
9. As you prepare to release "Acid Rain", what would you say the album represents for you? What would you want listeners to take away from it?
It represents the new band as a whole in terms of our sound and our direction. Hopefully our listeners will be able to connect to the music and lyrics and feel something and be inspired.
10. You recently released the first single of the album, "Resistance"— What inspired the song and what was it like filming the video?
Musically we were looking to do something with a more slow tempo and a staccatto feel. Bands like Muse and Royal Blood inspired the fuzz guitars that we added over the main rhythm. I'm sure we were also influenced by Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello!
Lyrically the song was inspired by overcoming the disappointment from people close to you. It was our first video so we were super excited. We shot it with a production company called TITE Productions who were very professional and a ton of fun to work with. We got to do some acting and most of the band got 'killed' off which was awesome to watch. We think the video came out really well and is perhaps a little bit different than what is being released by most bands.
11. When can we expect the album to be released?
It's a bit up in the air, but probably towards the end of the year. We do have a few further singles lined up to promote the album further.
12. What plans do you have before and after it's release for this year?
Our main goal is to release a few more videos for our singles. We are also embarking on an escapade in the USA to see if we can sow some seeds there, including the West Coast!