Singapore post-hardcore band, Villes, have not only released a few singles off their debut full-length album "The Cure", but have an album cycle tour set in play, titled "The Other Side Tour", with other forms of planning to occur as well. Frontman vocalist Dominic talks of the single's, album, and some insight into the band as well.
1. First of all, we would like to know about the formation of the band. When and how was it formed? Do you think the band name "Villes" perfectly describes your music and philosophy?
Dominic: The band as a whole go way back as 4 of us, aside from MJ, were in the same secondary school. Bryan and I bonded over heavy music (especially breakdowns) that bands like Parkway Drive, Enter Shikari etc. would put out.
So one day in 2011, I started a conversation with him about starting a band together. It was shocking to him, as it never occurred to him that I had any musical talent whatsoever (I still don’t), but we’ve never looked back ever since.
We used to come up with a random meaning every time someone asks us that question. But to be honest there's not much of a connection, we just thought it sounded like a cool name! It means "cities" in French and coincidentally playing in Villes has brought us to many different cities around the world!
2. Now tell us something about "The Cure", and the lyrical themes behind each track. What are the ideas you wanted to put across?
Dominic: The songs in "The Cure" were written to address/come up with solutions to "problems" that myself and the people close to me have encountered. From battles with drug abuse to losing a loved one to cancer. Throughout those ordeals, I felt that people always searched for a cure.
3. Why did you think that your latest single "The Other Side" was the right choice to make into a single release?
Dominic: When the album was done, we all set down to decide which songs we’d want to put out as singles. All of us decided on the 3 that we wanted (Don’t You Worry, The Fear Generation and The Cure). "The Other Side" was something we all decided would have been a great follow up to the those 3 just because it’s a song that speaks about "the other side of a coin".
4. How did you get in touch with Ocean Grove's Luke Holmes for "The Other Side"? Why go with that band in particular?
Dominic: We met Ocean Grove on the New Blood, Old Tricks tour in Australia a few years back and they were just the best dudes ever. Whilst writing "The Other Side", Bryan came up with a really groovy bridge and breakdown and we couldn't think of a better person than Luke.
5. You will be heading out on "The Other Side Tour", going across 4 countries, so what have you done to prep yourselves for this trek?
Dominic: Outside of the standard practices that we do, because Mark (our bassist) is not able to make 2 of the shows.We had to find replacements to session for us, which meant booking more rehearsal slots so that was quite a fun, but tiring ordeal! Coming from the heat of Singapore, we also always like to check the temperature of the countries we go to while hoping and praying that it's winter or in a somewhat colder season.
6. What will the set list look like as far as material goes both old and possibly new?
Dominic: Without giving anything away, the setlist consists mostly of the songs in the album along with 1 or 2 old songs.
7. Does the band have any new music in the works?
Dominic: After this tour, we plan to go into the studio to write and record new stuff! But nothing's set in stone as of yet.
8. How do you promote your band and shows?
Dominic: We usually do so through our social medias as well as promotional videos here and there. However, whilst doing a promotional video for the tour, we took to the streets and gave out fliers to passer-bys it was hilarious!
9. Can you describe your show, visually and musically for us?
Dominic: I think the 5 of us use Villes as an outlet for venting all the nonsensical happenings in our lives, with that, what we hope to show and give to our listeners, and I mean this in the sincerest way, the best fucking show one could go to.
10. After this tour wraps-up, what other plans do you have for this year?
Dominic: NO CLUE! :D