Thrashers MASON has taken the 80's thrash sound mixing it up with some fast tempos and a dominating rhythm section, to create their own variation of the thrash metal genre. This would then cause the band to unleash their self-titled EP, followed by their debut album "Warhead", with another EP, that would lead down to their sophomore album "Impervious". Vocalist and guitarist Jimmy Benson goes on to say more about how this release differs from their previous material, down to their favorite track, their writing and recording process for this album, and much more.
1.What role do you play in the band?
Jimmy: Hi, this is Jimmy Benson and I sing and play guitar for Mason
2. Why go with a name like MASON? Does it have a meaning to it?
Jimmy: Haha, there really is no story or meaning behind the band name. We don't have any affiliation with Free-Mason.
3. What has influenced your sound and style?
Jimmy: The world, the news, but I wouldn't say it has influenced us. It has inspired us.
4. What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Jimmy: Humanity, death, humanity
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
Jimmy: Myself and guitarist Grant Burns usually get together in his home studio, which is about a 2 hour drive from the rest of the band. We usually smoke cigarettes and drink a LOT of coffee and work on song ideas, musically and lyrically and basically just spit ball until we have something solid to run with and send off to the other guys to fine tune. The songs will sit there for a few months and things are always changing until we're 100% happy with it.
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Jimmy: If Slayer and Kreator had a baby it would be us... No, it's loud and energetic and not for the easy listener.
7. What image do you think your music conveys?
Jimmy: Truth about the reality and social climate of the world we live in today.
8. You will soon be releasing your new album "Impervious", can you tell me a little bit about it?
Jimmy: It’s the album we've always wanted to write! We have a ton of melodic/crushing epic moments on this one while still keeping it fast paced and thrashy. Pick up a copy and see for yourself.
9. What is the concept behind the album and how did the idea come about?
Jimmy: Shortly after recording the Unmerciful EP, we all decided that we were going to write an album in 3 weeks and record soon after. We never had a concept, I think after traveling the world and experiencing and seeing things I had a better understanding on how things worked and that drove us to write something really powerful.
10. What is your favourite song on the record and why?
Jimmy: My personal favourite is Tears of Tragedy. I wrote that song straight after the Bataclan attack. We played in France not long after and as soon we kicked into that song it was something special. We felt it and so did they!
11. What can fans expect from the new album?
Jimmy: Fans can expect a very large variety of music!
12. What was the writing and recording process like for this album?
Jimmy: Writing for this one was me and Burns just trading riffs at his place until we had full songs to pass on to the other guys. The recording process was really easy; we worked with Ermin Hamidovic again who's worked with a ton of killer artists. We spent... I think about 3 or more weeks tracking and another couple of weeks mixing and making sure everything was perfect.. Our drummer Nonda pretty much co-produces everything, he has a perfect ear for hearing things that everyone else might miss. Very handy guy to have in the studio.
13. Why do you think people should check out your new album once released?
Jimmy: Because people need this kind of thrash in their life.
14. How would you say you differ from other bands and artists on the scene?
Jimmy: We’re doing our own thing and being ourselves doing it, so it's not going to sound like anyone else but Mason.
15. What do you want to achieve as a band?
Jimmy: Firstly happiness, if none of us are feeling it then there's no point doing it. Touring, touring and more touring! We want to do this for as long as we can.
16. What does next year hold for you?
Jimmy: Hopefully a new album and another European tour in early 2018.
17. Describe MASON in three words.
Jimmy: We're not going anywhere. Wait that was four!