Metal act Inoculum have got a metal style that is a lot different than other acts within the community of metal music. With that, they have gone on to build upon their style of sound, writing and recording for some releases including an EP "Antigen", as well as more music in the works as well. The band just plans to do what they always have done, continue to write, record, and release music and play some shows too! Find out what was said about all of this below!
1. How do you describe your sound to people who ask you what your band sounds like?
This one is always a little tricky. We have a lot of different influences all across the different metal genres and subgenres, as well as alternative, grunge, hard rock and even reggae. For now, sometimes we just use something like “Alternative Groove-Metal” to describe ourselves.
2. Where did you get the idea for the band name, you planned it or came out just like that?
Inoculum is defined as the substance used for inoculation, which is the introduction of an antigen or pathogen into a living organism to increase immunity. We hope that by incorporating crucial themes and topics that plague the world today, we can inject rationality and discussion through music.
3. What would you say are the bands biggest collective musical influences, and also individual ones that you feel can be heard on the EP "Antigen"?
Mudvayne, Soilwork, System of a Down, In Flames, Meshuggah, 12 Foot Ninja.
4. Speaking of influences, whom or what influences or inspires you to write the material, behind the music that you create?
We want to write and produce music that will influence people the same way the artists that inspired us did. There are certain albums that changed our entire lives, and we hope one day we can do the same through our own creativity.
5. You guys are an unsigned band, so do you want to continue the DIY approach or hope to get signed down the line?
For the moment we are staying with the DIY approach, as balancing outside lives with the band can be tricky. We are able to record and mix everything in house which is a great advantage. Soon enough, we will definitely be looking to sign up with the right label, or management, or whichever is the best fit for us.
6. If you do hope to get signed, what should labels/zines/promoters know about your band? Why should they be interested in it?
We think we bring something unique to the metal table. We don’t plan to follow any particular musical genre guidelines, we are going to keep being who we are, and want to continue to surprise our audience for as long as we will be listened to.
Professionally, we try to be as easy to work with as possible, and are extremely motivated and willing to put in the work needed. We don’t take shortcuts. We acknowledge the music industry is evolving, but we as a band are evolving too.
7. Your debut EP "Antigen", is 2 years old, have you been working on anything new?
YES! We have already finished recording our second EP, as well as a new music video for our new single. We’re also working on some tour plans for the springtime to support the release.
8. Do you know what the next release will be in terms of another EP or full-length or keeping it underwraps?
Our next release will be a four track EP.
9. Off the Antigen EP you released an official single and video for the song "Hollow", can you disclose the meaning behind said song and video's concept appeal?
The song itself is largely about financial and corporate control over our everyday lives and how so many people seem blind to it. Creativity being squashed out by a constant struggle for more money, more useless things, more mindless stimulation. The video itself honestly wasn’t much more than a cool light show with a backdrop so we could perform it “live” for everyone. We set the entire thing up in Jeremy’s garage. It was a pretty great time!
10. What plans do you have for the future as a band?
The same plans we have every night….to take over the world! Or at least tour the world. Also continue writing and releasing music.
11. Where can fans and others find out more about you?
Our website: www.inoculum.net
‘Antigen’ EP on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/724mSkGo37Sk7jjwVg8VIM
12. Is there anything else you want to say to wrap this all up?
Smoke em if you got em. We hope this was as good for you as it was for us. Seriously though, thank you so much for taking the time to get to know us!