Buried Realm's creativity was driven by such a man, that he went as far as providing all of the instruments as well as vocals. He is said to be a true visionary named Josh Dummer, whose debut album titled "The Ichor Carcinoma", will be making quite the buzz, just as the singles have been doing, including latest single "Asphyxiation’s Lullaby" and the title track as well. Main man Josh Dummer goes into discussion about these two singles, the album, and a little more about the band that is Buried Realm.
1. Please tell us about the history of your band and its members.
Buried Realm began in 2007. I (Josh) tracked a few songs but never had time for a proper release. I've always wanted to release a solo album and now I have the opportunity to do it correctly.
2. What’s the story behind the band’s name?
I was just looking for something exciting and something that wasn't taken, really. It just represents me as an individual, allowing me to bring my own ideas and concepts to life.
3. How would you describe your style, to someone who has never heard your style before.
Technical and intense while catering to melody.
4. "The Ichor Carcinoma" features quite an array of guest appearances, why the need of so many?
Which of the guests did you have the most and least fun working with upon this album?
I knew from the beginning that I wanted to involve certain musicians, but didn't expect to end up with so many. Everything just fell into place though. Most of them I have looked up to for many years, and it's been an honor having every one of them on the record.
5. The title track and "Asphyxiation’s Lullaby" were made as singles of choice for this album. Why these in particular? Will there be anymore songs to be made as singles?
I feel the title track best represents the album in its form. "Asphyxiation's Lullaby" has a very "single" vibe with a catchy, melodic chorus while maintaining the aggression around it. More videos/ songs will be released.
6. What would be the cinematic equivalent of "The Ichor Carcinoma"?
The Conjuring meets Back To The Future!
7. What's your take on the album "The Ichor Carcinoma" as a whole?
The whole process has been diligent. It's a solo album I've been working on for a very long time and hopefully that translates. Not only is this an exciting album for myself but I think it's exciting for listeners of technical/ melodic death metal, too. It show cases several talented and well-known musicians among the metal community.
8. You decide to go in providing all the instruments and vocals for Buried Realm, was it as hard as people would think?
Performing on the album wasn't as difficult as some might think. The biggest obstacle of this project is how time-consuming it gets.
9. So would you say that this is a one man band or do you have a band to back you up when it comes to performances?
For now it's a "one man project". I suppose time will tell if I decide to take it live!
10. What does next year hold for Buried Realm?
Aside from promoting the album, I have left over material from 'The Ichor Carcinoma' that I'd like to turn into an EP. The process for that will begin if there is time between my other projects and life.
11. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?
CDs, shirts and other goodies are available through Bandcamp (www.buriedrealm.bandcamp.com)
Digital downloads/ streaming are available through most platforms (iTunes, Apple music, Amazon, Google Play, YouTube, etc.)
12. What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?
I want listeners to enjoy the musical journey it takes you on. Musically and lyrically I want this to inspire people to follow their dreams and accomplish the things that fulfill their desires. A little cheesy but it's true 😉.