Sleeptalk was formed from the ashes of a former pop punk band that ceased to exist. Since then, Sleeptalk had begun from the brain cells of frontman vocalist Anthony Fitzpatrick and bassist Paul McGill. Later on guitarist Jason Fitzpatrick, guitarist Justin Melchor, and drummer Jacques Harmandjian, would join in, making the band strong and promising. Their self-titled full-length debut released this past summer will show off what they can do for this music scene from this point onward. Frontman vocalist Anthony Fitzpatrick discusses that album, singles including recent music video for the track "Bright Eyes", as well as plans ahead.
1. What role do you play in the band?
Anthony: Hi my name is Anthony and I sing in the band.
2. Does your band's name Sleeptalk really mean what it represents, referring to sleep talking?
Anthony: It actually does. haha
3. What has influenced your sound and style?
Anthony: Youth, life, love, sex, lust, bad choices, rebelling, people. As far as our sound I'm going to have to say, to not do what other people are doing, and pace!
4. What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Anthony: Being young and in love. Rebellion!
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
Anthony: Yes we write all of our own songs. We wrote a few songs with one of my best friends named Shane. He has a band called Rouxx. The writing process for Sleeptalk is very internet based. Justin our guitarist lives about 45 mins to an hour away from the rest of the band so we are constantly emailing or iPhone voice memo ideas back and fourth. Once we have a solid foreground we all get together and put our inputs into the songs that make them our own.
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Anthony: We call it “Space Rock”. When people ask me what bands we sound like I have such a hard time telling someone we sound like this band or this band. You can definitely hear our influences but I wouldn’t say we sound like anyone in specific.
7. What image do you think your music conveys?
8. You will soon be releasing your new self-titled album. Why did you want to go with self-titling this release?
Anthony: The reason we wanted to self title this album is because this is Sleeptalk. Not to say our EPs before this weren’t us but we were definitely testing the waters. Our First EP is nothing like our record, you know. This is the Sleeptalk sound, at least for now.
9. What is your favorite song on the record and why?
Anthony: Personally I think my favorite song has to either be “Midnight/3,2,1” or “Bright Eyes”. Those songs hit home for me the most. I wrote both of those songs on the spot in the studio and they were actually the two final songs I recorded for the record. I recorded vocals for both of these songs on 1/2/17. I was sitting on these two songs for about 2 weeks, I could not figure out what I wanted to talk about and all the sudden new years happened and “Midnight” poured out of me.
10. What can fans expect from the new album?
Anthony: You can expect real. This album is straight up about my life and the people I surround myself with.
11. What was the writing and recording process like for this album?
Anthony: We actually wrote all 3 EPs around singles that we knew we were going to put on our debut record. We never released the last EP “Love” due to us signing with Artery but we took 4 of the 5 from the EP. We had about 25 or so songs that we narrowed down to the 12 on the record. We had about 8 of the 12 done before we went into the studio in early Dec. We finished writing and recording the record in about 15 days. It all flowed and happened so quickly, but beautifully.
12. Why do you think people should check out your new album once released?
Anthony: We are pretty cool guys and the songs are pretty cool.
13. What do you want to achieve as a band?
Anthony: Our first goal is to play festival season, that’s what’s on our mind right now
14. What does next year hold for you?
Anthony: Touring, touring touring. Thank you guys so much, we really appreciate you guys taking the time to due this for our band. Cheers!