Dirty Machine has set a task for themselves, to bring back American Nu Metal to the industry of the music scene. Coming from the city of angels that is Los Angeles, California, has been drawing in the crowds since back in 2012. During the time from then to now tough, the band has been playing shows cases, touring, as well as writing and recording material for numerous releases, including their newest album "Discord". The band got together to discuss the handful of singles off this album, and how the process of the album came off for everyone.
1. What role do you play in the band?
Dirty Davo - Vocals
Darren Davis - Guitar/Vocals
Hedge - Guitar
Youngblood - Bass/Backing Vocals
Nightmare - Drums
DJ Ecusa - Turntables/Sampling
2. Why the name DIRTY MACHINE? What does it symbolize or represent for the band?
Dirty Machine symbolizes everything society/someone doesn't want you to be. Dirty Machine is something far from perfect, completely raw and in your face. We want people to feel that you should put yourself and your uniqueness before any bullshit trend or opinion. Never settle and fuck a plan B. Follow your dreams, always.
3. Who has influenced your sound and style?
We range from over the place but our style is heavily influenced by Korn, Linkin Park and Sevendust.
4. What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Our songs come from a place of total honesty. We never discuss what a song is about before it's written. Lyrics just come out of us, and then the theme follows directly behind it.
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
We are very old school in how we write. We don't write our music separately. We don't use computers, drum machines and technology based music crap. Dirty Machine is 6 guys who plug in their shit in a hot garage and jam. Our writing comes from the oldest method there is, and that's just all being in the same room.
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Our music is whatever people want it to be. We stopped describing our music along time ago. Everyone we've encountered views us differently. After shows we've had people come up to us and say everything from "wow you reminded us of Limp Bizkit" all the way to "dang you guys remind me of Incubus". Our sound is all about how people perceive it. At the end of the day, people make their own opinion no matter what you say.
7. What was your reaction when you heard you got signed with Zombie Shark Records?
"FINALLY" haha, we've been trying to get ZSR's attention for well over a year. But it just shows Noah's business savvy. Because DM wasn't ready a year ago. We were ready now and that's why the planet's aligned.
8. Why did you decide to go with Zombie Shark Records over everybody else out there?
Any label bold enough in 2017 to come out and say they not only endorse Nu-Metal but they stand by it?! Umm, was there really anywhere else to go? We were the Outcasts of the LA scene. People told us to drop our style and switch it up. People told us to get uniformed and use a gimmick. ZSR believed in us for what we are. We couldn't ask for more than that.
9. You went and released the title track as your single with an accompanying music video, why was this choice made to be?
That title track set the tone and reintroduced us to the world. That song and video showed two new member additions as well as our newly recorded sound. We didn't even vote on it. "Discord" just simultaneously came out of our mouths at once.
10. Will we be seeing other tracks off "Discord" be made into singles and or videos?
We plan to shoot a video for "Seeds" and " Self Made Hero" before the year ends!
11. What can fans expect from the new album?
Man, we haven't even crossed that bridge yet. We have talked about it. But we all have to be in a certain mental place in order to write. None of us are there yet.
12. What has the writing and recording process been like for this album?
13. If you had to describe the whole album of "Discord" in one word, which would it be and why?
Disconnect, "Discord" is a story about the disconnect of two people. It tells a story and that story really happened.
14. For someone that’s never heard of your band, why should they give your music a listen? What separates DIRTY MACHINE from other artists out there today?
Imagine all your favorite Nu-Metal bands from the late 90's and early 2000's having a big sex party. Out of all those bands, a baby was born. That baby is Dirty Machine.
15. What’s in the future for DIRTY MACHINE?
We take it one step at a time. First and foremost a tour!