Up and coming artist, Carl Gershon has been playing in bands for years, during which he didn't find the right chemistry with them so he decided to play everything he could ever want in the form of a solo act. Thus, that is precisely what he has done, going as far as educating himself of learning how to record his own works, write, and release content, including his debut single "Like Paradise". Carl Gershon himself discusses his current life as a solo act, his debut efforts, and future.
1. When and why did you start playing?
I first started playing saxophone when I was 7 because my parents said I had to be in the school orchestra. They let me switch to drums when I was 10 and get a drum set if I promised to play drums in the school orchestra as well. I always wanted to play electric guitar. I thought there was a magic in it; I still do. By the time I was 12 my parents realized they didn't have to force me to play music anymore, they had to force me to stop for a bit and do my homework. No more orchestra needed so I was allowed to start the guitar. I was still in the school Jazz band in high school cause why not?
2. Which instruments do you play?
I have played electric Guitar, nylon string guitar, steel string guitar, slide guitar, lap steel guitar, Drums, electric Bass, Sax, synth, keyboards, percussion, Ukulele, Guilele, drum programming, cajon, bongos, steel pan and probably some others on my recordings.
3. Why did you think that using your own name Carl Gershon was the right choice for this solo project?
To be honest i did not really think about it at all but i think it makes sense since I write everything and play everything for the project.
4. How come you thought that now was the right time and place for Carl Gershon to fly solo?
I was playing in bands for years and just wasn’t feeling like I was finding the right chemistry. So I thought to myself, “I can play everything I need, I went to audio engineering school so I can record whatever I want….all I need to do now is figure out how to sing.”
5. How would you describe your style?
I always have trouble answering that but my favorite one that I heard was “Hard Yacht Rock”
6. You went ahead releasing your debut single "Like Paradise", so what can someone expect from this single?
Funky synths, loud drums, face melting guitar solo
7. Besides this single, do you have any new music in the works? Yes, quite a bit actually. Hopefully will have something new out each month. Remixes and collaborations too.
8. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out?
Nothing planned but starting to talk about it. Hopefully in the fall.
9. What do you have planned on doing in mean time?
All I am doing is writing and recording for the foreseeable future.
10. Where can we listen to your tunes and where can we buy your stuff?
It’s available on all digital retailers and streaming - https://fanlink.to/likeparadise.
11. How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?
I don’t lol. Right now I am 100% focused on this project.
12. Any message to our readers?
Support your favorite artists! It may not seem like a big deal but every “like”, repost, retweet etc helps, especially for new artists.