Vintage pop rock outfit, Jet Black Alley Cat have released a new song turned single made video called "Golden" off their yet to be released EP, set for release early this summer. Frontman vocalist Joe, discusses said single, the EP, and what else they have planned for this year.
1. What role do you play in the band?
Joe: I'm Joe and I sing.
2. Jet Black Alley Cat is your namesake, but why is that? Does the name represent a meaning or is it just a name?
Joe: I was walking in a theater one day around the time we were deciding these types of things, and the name just kind of came to me . Kind of like our music, it was more about the feeling of the name rather than some specific meaning or purpose. It felt right. So we went with it.
3. What has influenced your sound and style?
Joe: Obviously we all have our favorite artists and people we value and listen to. But I would say most of our influences come from movies. Ones like Grease, Dirty Dancing, Top Gun, and Scarface, just to name a few. It's always been about the way films feel that has inspired us in our own story.
4.What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Joe: Our songs are our of way expressing the way we live and what we aspire for with our lives. The youth that we're in right now lends itself to love, loss, vision, and new experiences every day. We crave expensive. We crave more. I think those themes play into them.
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
Joe: We do write our own songs. Up to this point each process has been different. We value variety in songwriting. It breeds genuineness.
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Joe: We always use the same words each time we are asked: VINTAGE / POP / ROCK / GROOVE. After that I think we just let them decide how they feel.
7. What image do you think your music conveys?
Joe: It's a SAD LOVE CINEMA vibe.
8. What's your take on your song turned video for "Golden" as a whole?
Joe: 'Golden' is definitely our most pop release since our first single 'Poison'. We knew we wanted to push a bit more that direction with both the recording and the video; because it was going to be the last single of this set that was released. So in those ways this one was somewhat different. But we didn't compromise what we we wanted from the beginning and that was for every song to be felt and to be genuine to it's themes and inspirations. 'Golden' is a flashy, fun song. It's sexy and it's expensive. Those are things we wanted to make sure we got right.
9. What is the concept behind the the song and video for "Golden" and how did the idea come about?
Joe: Just a craving for fashion and both personal and materialistic beauty. The majority of people didn't grow up like that. We didn't. But it all goes back to making our lives special in all facets. 'Golden' is our expensive way saying how we really feel. As for the video, that was just fun. It felt like what we would do.
10. Where are you in the process of the new EP?
Joe: We are very very close to being finished! Right now it's more about the nuisances of each song and the behind-the-scenes decisions. We couldn't be more excited, but we're extremely focused on wrapping it up the right way. The details are important to us.
11. What can we expect this EP to be released?
Joe: Right now it's looking like the beginning of May.
12. What has the writing and recording process been like for the EP?
Joe: With this being our first time really doing this, I can say it's been such a neat thing of growing and learning. The process has its ups and downs; its good days and bad days. But everyday was growth, and it's allowed us to find out who we are the right way.
13. Why do you think people should check out your new EP once it's released?
Joe: We feel we offer something others aren't doing. It's genuine and it's different. It's JETBLACK.
14. How would you say you differ from other bands and artists on the scene?
Joe: I really don't know the process other bands go through or what influences them to do what they do. Music and being on a stage is special, and that's obvious as so many people are trying to do it right now. But our band cares about doing it the right way. We don't get too caught up in the approach that others choose. We just wanna find ourselves and make cool moments for people. We work hard to do that. I think if you're genuine then setting yourself apart will work itself out.
15. What do you want to achieve as a band?
Joe: To be the coolest band In the world.
16. What does next year hold for Jet Black Alley Cat?
Joe: After the release, we have multiple runs coming up. Our goal is to be on the road as much as possible.
17. Describe Jet Black Alley Cat in three words.
Joe: SAD . LOVE . CINEMA.