Vanlade is an act that was started in the late 2000's, after releasing their debut album "Iron Age", in 2012, with some member changes beforehand, the band would see it through, moving forward. Going on to release a follow-up album titled the "Rage of the Gods", with the added addition of playing some more, touring, with no plans on stopping. Find out just how this band came about, down to their latest offerings in terms of music, to what lays ahead.
1. Please tell us about the history of your band and its members.
Sure! The band started at Mill Valley High School in Shawnee, KS in the late 2000's. Since then there have been several member change ups. I joined the original lineup around 2009 and we released our first album, "Iron Age" in 2012. Not long after that, we were joined by Vinnie Camarillo from the Kansas City band, Meat Shank. With him we recorded "Rage of the Gods", which was received well in the underground. We were soon joined by drummer Nolan Weber and bassist Jonathan Tennant from the Lincoln, Nebraska death metal band Garoted, who give us a lock down assault in the rhythm department.
2. What’s the origin of the band’s name?
Vanlade is a character in Norse Mythology. We thought he had a cool story and the name was unique for a band so we took it!
3. Where is the band based out of and what is your music scene like there? Are there any local bands you could recommend?
We are from Kansas City. The metal scene out here is small but there are some great bands to watch out for. One of our favorites is Ancient Creation, a heavy progressivish/powerish metal band who we really looked up to when we were starting off, and still do! Stonehaven is a viking themed black metal band with incredible visuals and really excellent music. The other one I'd recommend is Meat Shank, with whom we share a guitarist. They play a gritty sort of thrash metal.
4. How would you describe your style?
I don't like to pidgeonhole it, but we play fast, heavy, melodic music in the realm of traditional metal. "Rage of the Gods", could pretty comfortably be called speed/power metal. I'd put it somewhere between Thundersteel, Kill 'Em All, and Queensryche.
5. What have you released so far and what can someone expect from your works?
Check out "Rage of the Gods", if you like speedy U.S. power metal. We also have a covers EP released in 2016 with some classic rock/metal stuff we had a lot of fun with.
6. Do you have any new music in the works?
We are about to enter the recording studio to work on our third album, due in 2018.
7. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out?
We just got done with a small handful of shows and are buckling down with our writing so we are ready for the studio. So we've got nothing planned at the moment but should be back on the road in 2018!
8. What plans do you have for the future as a band?
Keep writing, recording, and touring. We're having a blast and making a lot of friends.
9. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?
10. What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?
Just enjoy! If you do, find us online!