Heartaches' have been hard at work writing and recording for their sophomore album "Svart". Besides this, they have gone on to play shows with various acts, and really want to branch out, making a name for themselves, within the hardcore scene all over the world. The band took some time to discuss this release and the future they have lined-up.
1. What role do you play in the band?
Casper Frisk - vocalist
Tom Mähler - guitarist
Jimmy Fransén - guitarist
Adrian Bellan - drummer
Theofil Tokatlidis - bassist
Songwriters: Casper, Tom and Jimmy.
2. Heartaches is your namesake, but why is that? Does the name represent a meaning or is it just a name?
The name Heartaches originally came from when Casper & Tom began to write the song Memorial, and the purpose was to write a song that really came from Caspers heart and would express the pain from his loss. So you can say that it means that everyone has their heartache and this is how we express ours.
3. What has influenced your sound and style?
Heavy bands like Black Tongue and Chelsea Grin, but also non-metal emotional bands like The Elijah and Hotel Books.
4.What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Depression, aggression, loss.
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
Yes. Tom and Jimmy are recording some riffs at home, and also puts some drums on it. When that's done, Casper can listen too it, and decide in what directions he wants to take the lyrics.
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Heavy & Emotional.
7. What image do you think your music conveys?
The whole EP has a very dark image.
8. What's your take on your "Svart" as a whole?
We are really happy with the result of this EP. We think that we all have stepped up big times since our debut EP, both individually and as a band. There's also a huge improvement in the production.
9. What is the concept behind "Svart" and how did the idea come about?
We wanted a simple and odd name that describes the meaning of the EP. "Svart" means black in Swedish, and the whole EP is about struggles.
10. What is your favorite title on "Svart" and why?
I will never exist, because both the title and the song has a deeper meaning. It's about people who feels like they're invisible to the world.
11. What can fans expect from the new Heartaches album?
It will be heavier, better production, and better lyrics.
12. What was the writing and recording process like for "Svart"?
Tom and Jimmy wrote half done songs separately, and then they listened to each others material and completed it together, and that was all the instrumental. Casper wrote the lyrics by himself and then recorded it after Tom and Jimmy was done.
13. Why do you think people should check out your new album "Svart"?
Because it contains feelings that many people can relate to, and also because it's a very different sound compared to our previous EP.
14. How would you say you differ from other bands and artists on the scene?
On some songs, we try to mix different sounds to make something cool. We managed to do that especially on one song called "The Process". It has for example a very high melodic hardcore tempo, but the melodies is both dark and emotional.
15. What do you want to achieve as a band?
We want to reach out to much more people around the world and get the chance to play at big festivals and tours like Warped Tour and Impericon Festival.
16. What does next year hold for you guys?
We hope that next year will be our year, we will start to write our debut full length album and play as many shows as possible.
17. Describe Heartaches in three words.
Heavy, emotional and of course "svart".