Threatpoint is a groove metal band based out of Scranton, Pennsylvania pulling influences from all of the rock and metal spectrum. Having done that, they have gone on to release their newest and latest release "Careful What You Wish For" with plans already in the works, to follow it up, as well as play shows, and much more! The band got together to talk about their latest release and other plans.
1. Can I get a backstory on the band/ band biography?
It all started in March 2012. CJ, Alex and I (Chris) sat down to talk about putting a band together. We knew each other from previous bands playing out together. The first year was all closed door writing and tossing around ideas. Coming up with a sound and an identity. A name, who are we? What are we? Was a huge question!
2. Why go with calling yourselves Threatpoint Who or what is the threat and what is the point?
There was another name but we felt we needed something better somethings way more metal. Old school sounding not like modern. We didn't want a sentence for a band name. I came up with threat ... Like we wanted to be like in your face. CJ finished it off with the point. Making us more direct. Like we are the Threatpoint in your face in your life in the scene.
3. Tell us about your thoughts on your local music scene? Are there any new and upcoming bands that you are into?
New bands, we are always digging for fresh but that doesn't sound like the same old shit. Act of Defiance is amazing. The Southern Blacklist and Messiak are all very fresh metal!
4. How would you categorize the style of the band?
We are... Groove metal a mixture of thrash,death,power,classic metal and hard rock. 60s,70s, 80s, 90s and now. We take from all and learn. We aren't inventing the wheel just adding our flavor to it.
5. What can fans expect with "Careful What You Wish For"?
A more mature album than the first. We have grown as a band so our writing has grown as well.
6. How has the band’s sound evolved from your debut album to "Careful What You Wish For"?
We got more technical. Not that we set out but it just happens. Who wants to write the same disc twice...not us! Learn from mistakes. Take new chances. Listen to fans desires. All of it.
7. Was your songwriting and recording process any different than usual for this CD?
Naw we are old school. Sit in the room together and jam. We bring in ideas and then has them out.
8. What inspired the album title? Is it a concept album?
No not really. Everyone wants wants wants. But then they get what they want and are in for a shock because it's not what they envisioned it to be. They had a false idea of their dream and reality hits hard. Careful What You Wish For!
9. Who was the one to design the album's artwork? Would you say it has a meaning to it?
I do all our artwork n designs. It all came together someone has a birthday and everyone says "make a wish" but I say careful what you wish for you just might get it. The reaper is there as you blow out the candle kinda meaning it's not what you really wanted in your wish. It turned out pretty terrible.
10. What are your expectations for "Careful What You Wish For"?
We are realistic. Just want people to enjoy it and find meaning within the lyrics.
11. Do you have a favorite song off this album?
For me the title track. It captures us entirely as a band.
12. Are you guys working upon any new material in terms of a follow-up release?
We hit the studio this October to begin tracking our third album to be released in the spring of 2016.
13. Why do you think people are into your music?
Groove and hook as we are told... Everyone has different reasons. But we are not a gimmick band. We are old school straight up metal. We don't have any bullshit image or masks or anything. Just RAW music and we write for the live show.
14. What does the next year hold for you and your band?
Who knows. The new material sounds pretty cool. Raw and fast. Still with groove and hooks. More shows. More cities and the new disc. One step at a time I guess. Hopefully a label that cares and can help us to another step in the right direction. We are still on our own. Out of pocket for everything!
15. Where can our readers find your band on the internet?
Our web has it all. www.threatpointofficial.com. And of coarse all the other usual sites. Give us a LIKE on Facebook and introduce yourself. Send us a message. We love talking to people. It's the best part of touring. Meeting new people and hearing their stories of life.