Echo Black draws in different influences of each unique member. They are set out to make evocative and visceral music that you can feel in your bones, heart, and soul. Formed by frontman vocalist Danny Blu discusses their recent single and video for "Burn Another Day" as well as their touring plans and other plans for new music and much more.
1. How do you describe your music to people?
Danny: We call it industrial pop. Most people don't know what that means, so we say it's aggressive, melodic pop music, electronically driven, but played authentically live.
2. Can you tell us a brief history of your band?
Danny: The band came into existence in 2011. I had written and put out "Do Your Worst" as "Danny Blu" and needed to put a band together to play live shows. The band remains "Danny Blu" for a sophomore release, and we toured that album last year. When we got back, we started writing more as a band and wanted to solidify our image and message and future. That's when we decided to change it to a band name. So, "Echo Black" was born.
3. What image do you think your music conveys?
Danny: We say we are the "sound of midnight." I think that encompasses a lot of things. Midnight could be the start to a night or the end. It could mean a quiet, contemplative forest or a busy Friday city street. I think we make music inspired by the night because we are nighttime people. It's when you can think, reflect, and create without distraction.
4. Where did the band's name Echo Black come from and even represent or mean?
Danny: We are all musicians with different backgrounds coming together to make the music we make. We wanted to name the band something that encompassed that, so we came to "Echo" to sort of describe the process of all our ideas bouncing around together and becoming a single sound. The "Black" came with the whole nighttime idea I was talking about.
5. What's the story behind the video and song for "Burn Another Day"?
Danny: The song is all about unifying the outcasted, making a whole out of a bunch of individual souls. The video takes the anti-bully movement a step further. Instead of waiting til it gets better, fight back. Make it better. We aren't saying use violence, we're saying "be heard."
6. Why did you want this song to be picked out as a single and video?
Danny: We felt very strongly about the message of the song and what the video turned into. We also knew it was a strong song and would be a great way for us to debut.
7. How did you get in contact with Nathan Crooker to direct? Will you work with him again?
Danny: ABSOLUTELY. Nathan is a gem. A true artist. We would work with him together in a heartbeat and are already working on out next collaboration. We met through a mutual friend.
8. Do you have an idea as to what the next single and or video will end up being?
Danny: We do, but we can't say quiiiiiiiite yet. ;)
9. Where will this single find it's home off an EP or full-length release?
Danny: That is sort of up in the air. As a new band, we are running with what comes to us. As our upcoming tour pans out we will solidify our next steps. Of course we're constantly writing, so we'll be ready for anything!
Danny: As Echo Black, just this first single.
11. Do you have any new music in the works?
Danny: We have other music recorded waiting in the wings ;) be on the lookout for that!
12. You are about to start a fantastic US Tour with Combichrist and The Birthday Massacre. If you could think of one thing you would like to accomplish the most through that tour what would that be?!
Danny: Come back alive. But really, we just want to reach as many new fans as possible. We think our sound lies right in between Combichrist and The Birthday Massacre so we are super excited to play for their fans.
13. What have you done to prepare yourselves for the tour?
Danny: SO MUCH. As this is our first tour as Echo Black, we had a good amount to take care of. We bought a tour bus, new gear, rehearsed the hell out of our set, new tour costumes, etc. we're ready ;)
14. What are you looking forward to about working with Combichrist and The Birthday Massacre on this tour?
Danny: The advice they can give us. They've been in this game for a while now, so I'm sure they have plenty of wisdom to pass on. They also seem like really cool people.
15. What could one expect from a Echo Black show?
Danny: Total and complete destruction. We play emotionally and leave everything on the stage. This is much more than a job to us. Fans can expect a pretty theatrical experience. When our four energies combine it's a force to be reckoned with.
16. Once the tour in the USA is over, what do you have planned afterwards?
Danny: We'll see! We are hoping to be back on the road in the spring.