Pop punk trio Run 2 Cover, Brandon Iverson (Drums/Vocals), Christian Iverson (Bass/Vocals), and Colin Shaw (Lead Guitar/Vocals) have already done a lot for themselves since forming in only 2010. They have gone on to release their debut album "Lovesick" as well as played some shows here and there, even going on tours with some of today's most well known acts within the music scene. This trio got the time to talk about their time together, debut album, and the future.
1. First of all, who are you, and what do you do in the band?
My name is, Christian. I play bass and I am the lead vocalist.
My name is, Colin. I play guitar and sing backup vocals.
My name is, Brandon. I play drums and sing backup vocals.
2. How did you guys come up with your band name?
We were young kids (11, 12 years old) and we tried to come up with the coolest name that we could think of, and we landed on Run 2 Cover somehow. Now we realize that its really not that cool haha, but we figured that we would stick with it.
3. What bands have influenced your band and its sound?
Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Katy Perry, 5 Seconds of Summer, Coldplay and many more.
4. What lyrical theme do you guys use in your music? What message do you want to send?
We write a lot of songs about love and relationships from our own personal experiences. We like to send a positive and encouraging message through our music.
5. Can I get a backstory on the band/ band biography?
Brandon: I started playing drums at 11 years old because my stepdad is a drummer and had a kit setup in our house. Christian, my older brother, then started playing bass and we entered a school talent show together. Colin, who had been our friend for a long time, saw Christian and I play the talent show. We decided that Colin should start playing guitar and we’d form a band together.
6. Why did you start out as a metal band then switch over to being a pop punk band? Will we ever be seeing that metal band come back to life in the future?
We started out as a metal band because as kids we didn’t know what direction we wanted to go as a band genre wise. As we grew older, and became more skilled musicians we found that we all had a greater passion for pop music. We aren’t sure if we’ll ever play metal again. Maybe as a side project haha.
7. You are a three piece act, how come take this direction, instead of being a full fledged group?
Christian: We are all very close friends and have been for a very long time. This gives us a connection with each other that not a lot of bands have. We feel like adding another member could possibly damage the connection.
8. How did you and KBB Records come together? Are you pleased with what they have been doing for you thus far?
Colin: Our manager shopped our EP, Someday out to some labels and KBB liked what they heard. Our experience with KBB has been amazing and we are grateful for their help and support.
9. Did you ever think you would have accomplished so much in so little time, having a debut EP, then a debut album, touring as much as you have with so many different acts, what pops into your head?
Christian: We never really expected all of this to happen so fast. We were just a few kids with a dream, and we worked hard everyday towards it. We know we still have a lot of hard work and a long ways to go, but it is very cool to look back and remember where we came from.
10. Will we be seeing anymore videos for any of the other tracks off "Lovesick"? Is shooting music videos a process you enjoy?
Brandon: There will definitely be more music videos for a couple tracks off Lovesick. I personally really enjoy making music videos. They give you an opportunity to further explain the message in the song with a visual aspect. I think that’s very cool.
11. Do you have a favorite song off "Lovesick"?
Christian: My personal favorite is either Like the Way It Hurts or I’m the One.
Colin: Mine is Back to Basics.
Brandon: Mine is Back to Basics as well.
12. What can fans expect with "Lovesick"?
Colin: Feel good, catchy songs with positive vibes.
13. Why are you "Lovesick"?
Christian: We’ve all been through ups and downs in relationships, and most people can relate with that as well. We wanted to express our experiences through our music.
14. How have the gigs you guys been doing been?
Colin: The gigs are great! Every show is an opportunity to spread our music and connect with new people.
15. Describe your live performance for those who have never seen you live?
Brandon: We try and make our live shows as entertaining and interactive as possible. We like to involve the crowd and make it a night everyone will remember.
16. What's one item you have to have with you out on the road that you can't live without?
Christian: My iPhone.
Colin: My iPhone.
Brandon: My iPhone or my Mac.
17. What are your favorite cities/venues to play in the U.S?
Colin: My top three are Colorado Springs, CO, Salt Lake City, UT, Los Angeles, CA.
Christian: Salt Lake City, UT, Los Angeles, CA, and of course Arizona.
Brandon: Los Angeles, CA or Denver, CO. I’m super excited to be playing in NYC.
18. What song do you enjoy playing the most?
Brandon: Back to Basics or Like the Way It Hurts.
Colin: Someday or Pretty Little Thing.
Christian: Like the Way It Hurts.
19. What does the next year hold for you and your band?
We aren’t really sure what next year holds. All we can do is continue to work hard and let our music take us places.
20. Is that your final answer?
Feel free to follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and come see us play a show sometime! Our debut album Lovesick is available for purchase NOW.