JRockers Mary's Blood, an all female based band, were formed by ex-Destrose members Eye, Saki and Mari. Originally formed as a 5 piece, the band has now settled into a tight-knit 4 member group with Rio filling the bass position.
Having embraced their love of the 80's era, they have shared that time, blending melodies with such power and precision it is uncanny as to how well it's turned out for them. Thus, their stylish influences are clear as day, as they have gone on to forge their own raw yet unique source of style and sound. Giving them a true identity within the music scene from Japan. Making them one of the best all girl bands out there.
Since forming, the band has had a handful of releases including their debut EP in 2011 along with two albums including their third being "Fate" released via Sliptrick Records is receiving quite the buzz. Mary's Blood has taken their time to discuss this album, and what the scene is like in Japan.
1. For those unfamiliar with Mary's Blood, can you describe your style and type of music you play?
Our music is powerful and hard yet so melodious as well as expressing in our perspectives as females.
2. Why did you want to call this band Mary's Blood? Does the name relate to the urban myth Bloody Mary?
It has nothing to do with the urban myth – Bloody Mary. It is actually taken from the cocktail, Bloody Mary.
3. Do you write your own songs and what are your songs about?
We write about emotions and feelings in female’s perspectives.
4. Who are your musical influences and why are they your influences?
Each member has been influenced by so many artists. Some of us value charisma in the performance and some of us value the level of musicianship. Mary’s Blood consists of such unique individuals who were inspired by so many different type of music and artists regardless of genre and each of us has own opinion and view toward music. Mary’s Blood’s music is the result of the “chemical reaction” of that individual uniqueness, so to speak. So to answer your question, it is hard for us to name names of artists we are influenced by.
5. Can you tell us a little about your new album "Fate"? Why should we check it out?
So cool haha! We worked with a new arranger and guest musicians and we feel like we could showcase a new side of Mary’s Blood as well with this album.
6. Have you had or will you have any of your music featured in any anime TV shows or movies?
Unfortunately, no. But we would love our music to be featured in any anime TV shows or movies.
7. Do you have a favorite anime TV show or movie?
RIO "POKEMON" and "Attack on Titan"
MARI "My Neighbor Totoro"
8. Has Mary’s Blood ever played in the U.S.A. or plan to do so in the future?
Yes. We have performed at ANIMEMATSURI 2013 in Texas. We don’t have any plan to play in the U.S.A. right now but we would love to in the near future.
9. What makes Mary’s Blood stand out above all the other Japanese acts out of Japan.
The fact that we are very hardcore yet still feminine at the same time.
10. Do you have any last words for fans, or potential new fans?
We cannot wait to perform in the U.S.A. again soon. Performing at an event in Texas was such an amazing experience for us and we loved how people responded to our music. Mary’s Blood’s music is very versatile, from hardcore to sweetness, we believe you will find at least one of our songs that touches your heart in some way. We hope you enjoy our music. Thank you.