Art Of Dying's career has astonished both fans and industry folk alike, since they got their start way back when. Over time, they have tour relentlessly, writing and recording, numerous records including most recent EP release "Nevermore". Frontman vocalist Jonny Hetherington discusses the said EP, touring schedule, and some history into the band's career span.
1. First of all, who are you, and what do you do in the band?
Jonny: I'm Jonny Hetherington. I sing.
2. Let's talk a little about the history of your band. When did you originally form and is this the original line-up?
Jonny: The band became Art of Dying in 2004 when we were making the self titled album in Vancouver. This line up solidified in 2008 just before hitting the road with Disturbed except for our newest member Cody Watkins (long time stage manager and tech) who joined in early 2016.
3. Do you remember how the idea of forming the band first came up?
Jonny: I was busking on the street in Vancouver and two of the original members followed my voice, found me on Granville street and asked me if I wanted to come out and sing with them. We got together the next day and the chemistry was perfect.
4. How long after you formed was it until you played your first live show?
Jonny: Quite a while actually. We wrote a bunch of songs and got our sound in a jam space for many months before booking gigs. Fast forward to 2008 when Tavis and Cale joined the band, the opposite happened where we had never rehearsed together until jumping on stage for sound check at our first tour stop in Calgary, Alberta.
5. What are your memories of the performance?
Jonny: The 3 of us started harmonizing at sound check, and I just got goosebumps. I knew at that moment that this was the band I had always been searching for.
6. How would you categorize the style of the band?
Jonny: Spotify calls us alt-metal. I think we are rock. David DRAIMAN of Disturbed calls us "Eagles in Chains" referencing our 3 part harmonies and 90s influences.
7. Why the name Art Of Dying? How does art die?
Jonny: It comes from the longer sentence "The Art of Dying is my life to live". It's recognizing that our time here is precious.
8. Who are your influences and how have they shaped your bands sound?
Jonny: 90's bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots are where we all come together.
9. What lyrical theme do you guys use in your music? What message do you want to send?
Jonny: We don't set out to have a message or theme. Each song is a page out of life. Could be the best day or the worst day. There is however a reoccurring theme of hope and perseverance that seems to string it's way through our catalog.
10. Let's talk a little about your latest EP, what are the listeners in store for with this release?
Jonny: NEVERMORE is record of how we've been feeling and what we've been up to the last couple of years. It sweats and bleeds Art of Dying.
11. What is one thing that can be said about this EP, that has already been said about it?
Jonny: "NEVERMORE is the song that will define our career. This is the best music of Art of Dying's career." Quotes from recent press.
12. What was the writing and recording process like for the EP?
Jonny: We wrote a lot in a studio in Nashville. We also did some remote writing on Skype. The song NEVERMORE for instance I wrote with Tavis while he was in the mountains in BC and I was on the beach in Mexico.
13. What have you guys done to prepare yourselves for this tour?
Jonny: Musically we all rehearsed a bit individually at home, but our First tune together as a band was on stage at sound check. Business-wise we had a lot to get together before the tour as we were launching the new record and the new merch store at www.artofdyingmusic.com.
14. How do you promote your band and shows?
Jonny: Mostly through social media. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. Also, track us on bandsintown.
15. What does the rest of this year have in-store for you guys?
Jonny: Lots more touring. We want to try to get to all the corners of North America hat we can get to and also get overseas.