Foul Body Autopsy is a one man band by none other than Tom Reynolds. He has crushing instrumental skills and has spent the time in the studio, writing and recording for his latest EP, "Perpetuated By Greed". Tom himself discusses this release and why he wanted this band to be a one man act, plus so much gruesome details about the band as a whole.
1. First of all, who are you, and what do you do in the band?
Tom: I am Tom and I am the only member of the band so I do guitar, bass, drum programming and vocals.
2. Let's talk a little about the history of your band. When did you originally form and what made you want to fly solo and make this a one man act?
Tom: Around late 2010 I had just left my old band. I couldn't hack being it that band any more. The drummer couldn't decide what band he wanted to sound exactly like… something I was not keen on because you are just ripping off another band and not developing a sound of your own. Plus he would change his mind depending on what band he was into that week. Nightmare scenario for me!
So I left trying to form a new band. The members I found where amazing players but unreliable as shit. So much so that before the first gig the bass player left and the drummer text me the night before saying he couldn't do the gig.
So I decided fuck it, I didn't put all this work in for nothing and I played the gig solo with a backing track and the rest is history.
3. How has being a one man act been going for you? Can you handle doing everything on your own perfectly fine or would you prefer it, if your band had other members like any other band?
Tom: It works fine for me to be honest I don't have any plans to add to the lineup.
4. What about playing shows and or touring, how will it work out, will you be standing tall and strong on your lonesome or will there be a band to fill in alongside you?
Tom: I always stand strong on my lonesome, it’s much less stressful to do it alone.
5. Do you remember how the idea of forming the band first came up?
Tom: Just before I left the old band I waned to have a project where I called the shots and didn't have someone telling me what to play and what to sound like. I just wanted some freedom to create what I wanted rather than having to work to someone else wanted.
6. How long after you formed was it until you played your first live show?
Tom: The first real gig after I found my feet and felt comfortable doing vocals in front of people was about 3-4 months after starting the project.
7. What are your memories of the performance?
Tom: I remember being nervous because my drummer and bass player both split on me and I was left on my own to play the gig. Lucky it went off without a hitch and that was when I realized this one man band thing could actually work out well for me.
8. How would you categorize the style of the band?
Tom: Fuck knows!
9. Who are your influences and how have they shaped your bands sound?
Tom: I like most types of music to be honest. As long as the lyrics are good and the song is catchy I'm happy! But my biggest influences are David Bowie, Radiohead, Thom Yorke, Dire Straits, Devin Townsend, Gridlink, Napalm Death, and loads more!
10. What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Tom: It’s usually whatever is on my mind at any one time. It changes from release to release.
11. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
Tom: I sit down with my guitar jam to a click track for around an hour (the jam is recorded in to logic) and then I look through the riffs about a week later and I find the good riffs and start to work with them. Other times I will come up with a riff on the spot and just keep playing it till its perfect and then see if anything else comes to me. And on some rare occasions I will write a full song in one go.
12. Let's talk a little about your latest EP, "Perpetuated By Greed", what are the listeners in store for with this release?
Tom: It’s different from the old material but I think people who like my old music will like this new music also.
13. What would be the cinematic equivalent of "Perpetuated By Greed"?
Tom: I don't know to be honest.
14. What's your take on "Perpetuated By Greed" as a whole?
Tom: I like it a lot I think its one of my best. But I also have no plans of doing anything like it again.
15. What's your favorite song on it right now?
Tom: Destabilized Perception because it was the first song I wrote for the record
16. Why did you want to go with calling this band Foul Body Autopsy? What does that even mean, if it means anything at all?
Tom: Its Necropagist song and it sounds cool that's the only reason.
17. Where can our readers find you on the web?
Tom: On all of the following websites;
18. Do you have any last comments for our readers?
Tom: Buy 3 CD’s and 2 t-shirts.