Metal rock n' rollers Heartist have released their debut album "Feeding Fiction" along with an EP as well as some singles including a new song entitled "Ignite". The band has since gone on tours, played countless shows, with further plans to repeat this never ending cycle with new music, new shows, and tours! Frontman vocalist Bryce Beckley discusses the new music, touring, and plans ahead!
1. Let's talk a little about the history of the band. When did you originally form and is this the original line-up?
Bryce: We started the band in early 2011, which seems so strange to say was 4 years ago. One of our original guitarists left the band shortly after we began touring in 2012, and we’ve had Robby ever since. We’ve also been touring with a fill in bassist after splitting with our original last year.
2. Do you remember how the idea of forming the band first came up?
Bryce: We all got together after our individual bands had disbanded. We wanted to do something a little different than what we’d all grown up doing, and started writing what became our E.P. Nothing You Didn’t Deserve.
3. Where did the idea and how did the band come to get the name Heartist?
Bryce: We all made some sacrifices for the band, whether it was jobs, school or other opportunities, and when it came down to it, music was where our hearts were. We had put everything we had into making this our art, and the name Heartist comes from that idea. Putting your heart into what you do.
4. How long after you formed was it until you played your first live show?
Bryce: One very long year! We took our time to hone our songs and make sure we had a good product to show off before we made any announcements.
5. What are your memories of the performance?
Bryce: I remember being super stressed! By happenstance, that first show ended up being our opportunity to play for our now label Roadrunner Records. Going into the show knowing it could very well make or break us was nerve wracking, but we had an overwhelming amount of support from our friends, family and the local scene we had grown up playing in. It was a fantastic night!
6. What is your latest album and why should people buy it?
Bryce: Our latest album is called Feeding Fiction. We put a lot of love and hard work into this thing, and we’ve seen a lot of personal and professional growth from the journey putting it together. It’s our chance to show people who we are, and we’re very proud of it. That’s why you should buy it!
7. Where did you record your latest release at?
Bryce: We recorded at House of Loud in New Jersey for 3 very snowy months.
8. Producers are a very important factor in recording a good record. Who did you use to produce your record?
Bryce: We were very lucky to get to work with David Bendeth on this album. Saying he was an important factor is an understatement! He taught us a lot and really brought us together in a cool way while we worked together.
9. Tell us about your experience in the studio recording the new record?
Bryce: So stressful! Also tons of fun. We had never done any recording that long-term. 3 months is a long time to be locked in a small building during the winter!
10. Do you think the band is comfortable in the studio?
Bryce: I do. We’re all very good at bouncing our ideas off each other, and we’ve had a lot of practice writing together, so being in a studio feels almost as natural as being on stage, which is a very lucky thing.
11. Do you remember the very first time you heard the final mix of the new record and what you were thinking?
Bryce: I was damn proud! It was getting to see all the work we had done for not only the months of recording, but all the writing and refining of music before we even got there. Everything culminated in those final mixes and I sat back happy!
12. Does the entire band contribute to the writing process?
Bryce: We do! Like I said, working together is an important part of what makes our band OUR band.
13. How important do you rate the lyrical side of your albums?
Bryce: Extremely, and I’m not just saying that because I write them! The lyrics were something we had discussed since the beginning of the band. The emotion and stories of the songs are something I pride myself on greatly.
14. How do you feel the band has evolved musically and personally over the last year?
Bryce: We’re about a few weeks away from one year since the album released, and we’ve been through a lot together since then. We’re a closer, stronger and happier family because of this last year.
15. Have you taken any time to go and write any new material?
Bryce: That’s actually something we’ve been getting started on very recently. It’s been a while since we put our noses to the grindstone and it feels really good to get back into it.
16. What are your current tour plans, if any?
Bryce: We just announced a U.S. tour with Burn Halo this September - October!
17. Describe your live performance for those who have never seen you live?
Bryce: 5 dudes playing pissed off rock and roll that you’re gonna be nodding and banging your head to. We keep our live performance a bit heavier than you’ll hear on the album, and I think that adds a really interesting and surprising dynamic to the songs. We bring it pretty hard!
18. What does the next year hold for you and your band?
Bryce: Beginning work on new music and touring the hell out of Feeding Fiction! Keeping busy and hopefully staying on the road as much as possible.
19. Where can our readers find your band on the internet?
Bryce: Just search for Heartist! You guys know how the internet works!
20. How has Social Networking (Facebook,Twitter, etc.) impacted your band?
Bryce: It was actually a big part of our initial rollout of the band back in the day. We used it to build as much type about ourselves as possible before releasing any music, which I feel led to us getting noticed by the right people. Other than that, it’s a great way to stay in touch with fans
21. Do you have any final words you would like to get off your chest?
Bryce: Just a big thank you for giving me the opportunity to chat with you a little about who we are! I hope someone out there takes the time to check us out and loves what we’re doing! Come hang with us at a show!