Metal act 36 Crazyfists have been around for twenty long years, during this time they would tour, play shows, release seven full-length albums, and repeat this cycle time and time again. Frontman vocalist Brock Lindow discusses their seventh album to date along with discussion about their upcoming touring plans.
1. What does it feel like to have been around for over 20 years? Did you think 36 Crazyfists would have lasted to this point and time in your musical careers?
2. Would you mind telling as to where and how the name, 36 Crazyfists" came into the picture? Like is there a mythical creature with 36 Crazyfists? Where does the 36 come from?
Brock: 36 Crazyfists comes from the martial art film under the same name in the 70's. Jackie Chans first film.
3. What would you say are the bands biggest collective musical influences, and also individual ones that you feel can be heard in the record?
Brock: Well collectively I will say Metallica, Sabbath & Zepplin are our go to's when we all sit down and think about it. Alice in chains and the Deftones play a big role in our influences as well.
4. What lyrical theme do you guys use in your music and do you write your own music?
Brock: We write our own music most definitely and our lyrical theme usually obtains to my personal life.
5. Why did you want to go with picking "Also Am I" as your single and video choice off "Time and Trauma"?
Brock: I think for the first song to unveil off time and trauma it just had a little of everything our band is about so we figured out fans would dig that first.
6. Will there be anymore songs picked out to be made into videos off "Time and Trauma"?
Brock: I believe we are looking to do one for Marrow.
7. It's been five years since the release of "Collisions and Castaways". Why such a long time period between albums?
Brock: Mostly just life situations, my mother and my bass player Micks's mother passed away in 3011&2012 so we just wanted to focus on family at that time.
8. Did you feel any pressure whatsoever to do this follow-up to "Collisions and Castaways"?
Brock: Zero pressure when it comes to albums matching up to prior albums, we just do our thing and let it have its own place in time of our musical chapters
9. "Time and "Trauma" is your seventh album to date, just hearing that, what pops into your head?
Brock: It feels great to have had these records come out and get into the listeners ears.
10. You guys just got back from your European tour, so did you do any road testing of the new material?
Brock: The record came out while we there so we played about 4 new ones a night and they went over killer!If so, how did the audiences react towards the new material?
11. Speaking of touring, you will be heading out on another tour, do you think the U.S. audiences will react the same way or does it vary from place to place?
Brock: It's getting better for us in the states but still a work in progress. Regardless we are stoked for any and all that come to support us.
12. How will the set list look for this tour, will you be sticking to the same one or will you be changing things up a bit?
Brock: We change things up here and there. Leaving a few songs that are must plays but trying to keep it fresh as well.
13. What about after the tour wraps up, will there be more shows or touring in place, what are the plans in regards to those matters?
Brock: Well we are about to have our first break in 7 straight months of touring and I'm looking forward to recharging the batteries. We have South Africa in Sept and then we will hit Europe again at the first of the year.
14. As for 2015, what else can we expect to see from 36 Crazyfists?
Brock: Hopefully another video and we have vinyl coming out as well so just more cool stuff
15. Is that your final answer?