Message From Sylvia decided to take the self-titled approach for their debut album, that has released two singles, "Heart Of War" along with "Right Here and Now". Frontman vocalist Matthew Nevitt, goes into saying, that they wanted to built a brand for themselves, making a mark for their namesake, and music as a whole. Expect more shows, and tours to follow, this latest release, if not more.
1. Please tell us about the history of Message From Sylvia and its members.
Matthew: We are just starting to cut teeth in this industry! The band is relatively new, although we have been seriously busy since our inception. The band is comprised of myself and the three Lopez-Smith brothers (Dane, Isaac & Zachary) . Definitely a crazy dynamic, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
2. Where did you get the idea for the band name, did you plan it or was it a specific moment of inspiration?
Matthew: The band name is inspired by all the time we are away from our loved ones back home. Since we were basically fused together over a phone call, we needed something that we all could identify with. Sylvia Avenue is the street in Tarzana, CA we stayed while recording the record. Technology has become vital to our way of life. Our phones are our lifeline! Sometimes the only way of communication is through quick texts or picture messages. It just made sense that we were to become Message From Sylvia.
3. Why did you want to play Hard Rock and Metal?
Matthew: I don't necessarily believe it's just about a genre. It's about passion and creativity. So whatever comes natural and feels right is what we want to play as a band. ;)
4. Did you know each other before the band was formed?
Matthew: We actually had one very short meeting by chance. My wife and I had decided to meet up with a close industry friend at her club. That night the guys were touring and promoting their band there. Crazy, right !?!?
5. Why did you think that “Heart Of War” would be such a suitable single? Can you briefly discuss said song: What is it about?
Matthew: Because that was the first song completed, LMAO! We all love “Heart of War” and truly feel it exemplified everything sonically we were trying to achieve. It would be a perfect representation of what would continue to come out of the studio. “Heart of War” should be open ended. It can be that internal struggle we all deal with. Or it can simply be inspiration for moving on and making changes you need for yourself while leaving the past behind.
6. "Right Here and Now" is your current single. Can you talk a little about that? What other songs off the “Message From Sylvia” album do you think we will see be made into singles and/or videos, or you would like to see?
Matthew: We received a phone call. "You have to give me another strong radio single like Heart of War!" So we birthed “Right Here and Now”! This is the anthem for taking your chances and following your heart regardless the consequences. That bold move that could make or break you! I feel “Crystal Ball” is the sleeper song on the album. I would love to do more with that track! I also feel “Fall In Line” is perfect for where our world is today. That song could really unlock new possibilities for this band.
7. Sahaj Ticotin of RA produced “Message From Sylvia” - how did you end up working with him and what was it like working with him?
Matthew: Sahaj had actually started working on the album previous to my addition. Sahaj was part of the vocalist shopping process. Personally I enjoyed working with him. He really understands a singer. He knows how to push every last bit to make everything believable. Not to mention he's an incredible musician and vocalist himself.
8. Who did the cover art for “Message From Sylvia” and how much input did you have on it?
Matthew: We all had a part in the theme! It was a brainstorming process. We needed to find something that would encompass the direction and spirit of our album considering we decided to self-title it. It's a killer piece of art that holds many subliminal messages. ;)
9. Is there any story or concept behind the “Message From Sylvia” title?
Matthew: We just wanted to really drive home the name of the band, and “build the brand” for lack of a better term.
10. What can people expect when listening to “Message From Sylvia”?
Matthew: Expect the unexpected! So many genres and decades of music inspired this album. I feel we hit the mark with an album that can speak to a teenage kid just as easy as it may hit home to a middle-aged adult.
11. Why did you want to go the route of self-titled this album, what made this release be the one to receive such special treatment?
Matthew: It's our debut. Our first mark! We couldn't imagine a better title. There is nothing that could have represented the album better.
12. You are currently on tour with RED - any other shows or tours planned out?
Matthew: Yes - This tour has been rad! The entire bill is strong and the turnouts have been on point! We hope that we are asked to join Red again in the future. As for our upcoming schedule, we are working out details on a co-headline tour spanning from May 11th into early July. We will be announcing soon and are really excited for the opportunity.
TOUR DATES: (Opening for RED):
House Of Blues
San Diego, CA
The Roxy Theatre
West Hollywood, CA
Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV
O'Connors Irish Pub
13. What plans do you have for the future as a band?
Matthew: We have to take this one day, one show, one tour at a time! Baby steps and always keep moving forward.
14. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?
Matthew: Keep in touch with MFS via;
Official Website: http://www.msgfromsylvia.com
15. What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?
Matthew: Your first emotion: The first lyric or vocal that hit you like a ton of bricks! That first riff or bass line that inspired you to pick up your guitar and play. The thunderous drums that will urge you to pick up a pair of sticks. That's what music is all about, Inspiration!