Metal groovers Threatpoint, have been pulling influences from all of the rock and metal spectrum, going on to create a style all their own. That said, the band goes into detail about their namesake, music making, and what the future holds.
1. Please tell us about the history of your band and its members.
Threatpoint is Chris James(vocals), CJ Krukowski(drums), Matt Van Fleet(bass) and Alex Olivetti(guitar). The band formed in early 2012. CJ and Alex were in a band that had just broken up and Chris band at the time had just broken up as well. We knew each other for a few years since our old bands used to play together. Our bassist Matt is actually the one that told Chris we were looking for a singer, that's where the initial seed for the band was planted. We've had many line-up changes through the years and now Matt is officially a part of the band. It's very fitting since he's the one that pretty much put the band together and we all knew each other prior.
2. What’s the origin of the band’s name?
We were throwing around name ideas, one idea had the word "threat" and another idea had the word "point" in it. So we just decided to combine the two. No crazy meaning behind it, just trying to come up with something cool.
3. Where is the band based out of and what is your music scene like there? Are there any local bands you could recommend?
We are based out of Scranton, Pennsylvania. It's like a melting pot of all different types of bands. As far as metal goes I'd recommend Beyond Fallen, Slapjaw, Prosody and Traverse the Abyss. They're all great bands that we've played with many times.
4. How would you describe your style?
Aggressive and groovy. We like to play heavy music but also focus on the groove aspect and keeping the listeners' head banging. We try to combine our influences to make our sound a little different than the typical new-age metal band. We don't want to repeat ourselves and make sure no two songs sound alike on our records.
5. What have you released so far and what can someone expect from your works?
So far we have three full length albums(Dead to Rise, Careful What You Wish For and RIP) and an acoustic EP. In general we are a hard-hitting metal band that sounds modern but with some old-school flavor.
6. Do you have any new music in the works?
Yea, actually currently working on material for our forthcoming album.
7. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out?
Yea, we have few shows booked now but nothing too extensive as far as touring.
8. What plans do you have for the future as a band?
We're just getting off of a hiatus, so working on new material and going to start playing live again. Looking forward to it, it's nice to have time off but it's time to get on our game.
9. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?
You can listen to our music and buy merch out at our website: www.threatpointofficial.com, We are also on Facebook, Youtube, iTunes and Spotify.
10. What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?
We try to write songs that are heavy but still maintain hooks and catchiness. Anything that makes people want to listen to our music again and again, whether it be a musical piece or a lyric, is just awesome!