Japan's SOLITUDE formed in 1996, since then, the band has gone on to write, record, and release various singles, albums, as well as play shows and tour. Their latest offering "Reach For The Sky" saw a recent release via Test Your Metal Records, and see's the band expanding their horizons, ever so further than their previous releases. Frontman vocalist Akira discusses this album, and the plans that they have in the works between now and the rest of this year.
1. Who are you and what role do you play in the band and why?
I am Akira of singer of Solitude. And I am reader and organizer of this band. I'd like to be faithful to my roots and the one on which I had an influence. Therefore, I formed this band. And I love NWOBHM, Thrash Metal and a like Venom / Motorhead rock’n roll! That’s all.
2. Where does a namesake like SOLITUDE come from and even mean for the band.
That's from a simple reason. Anyway I like a ring of this word. And, of course, I like also Black Sabbath, Candlemass’s song.
3. What has influenced your sound and style?
We’re influenced from various music. Very influenced by NWOBHM, Thrash Metal and Old School Metal! My another band SACRIFICE is also same, the sounds by which this is my ideal, sound like TYGERS OF PANTANG “CRAZY NIGHTS” plus METALLICA “RIDE THE LIGHTNING” plus RIOT “FIRE DOWN UNDER”.
4.What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
I don't sing a devil, black magic and murder on this band. I singing about Familiar social problem, quaere, contradiction, hatred and a life etc. And sound is aggressive.
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
Me and Shingo (guitar). We collect an idea of a song and are forming that by studio work.
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Old school Heavy metal which passed 80 's. And savor of lyrical guitar and aggressive vocal contrast.
7. What can be said about "Reach For The Sky" that hasn't already been said about it.
Pride of Japanese Heavy Metal. But a lot of people don't know SOLITUDE yet.
8. What comes to mind, when thinking that "Reach For The Sky" is your third full-length album to date.
The album which has returned to a basis and roots thoroughly.
Our sound can't be expressed easily in a word. Like the Virtual Image of 1st album, Brave the Storm of 2nd album and Reach for the Sky of this album tracks are our basic band sound. However, we think, more fast, more louder, more straight song is better than those songs. Therefore we chose this song.
10. What is your favorite anime and manga of all time and why?
I like Hayao Miyazaki's movie and animation. May favorite his animation is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Because, his animations has the sense to touch Japanese nostalgia, warning to human society and caricature.
12. Has SOLITUDE ever had their music featured in an anime series or movie, would you like that to happen, if so which one of your songs would you pick and which anime or movie would you want it to be and why?
A zombie movie is most desirable for me. Yes, I'm George A. Romero enthusiastic fan. If possible, I want using “Blow”, the situation which escapes from a zombie.
13. How would you say you differ from other bands and artists out of Japan?
I don't express that in words. Because that's that a fan is think by oneself. I think so.
14. Has SOLITUDE ever played in the USA or plan to do so in the future?
Not yet. However, If everyone wishes for that, it would be achieved. By Test Your Metal Records cooperation.
15. What does next year hold for you guys?
We'd release this album at Europe. And I'd enter preparations of making of a new album.
16. Describe SOLITUDE in three words.
Japan, Pride and metal!