Progressive metalcore go getters Levels have released a top notch of a single and video for a song called "Slip" off their latest EP release "Exist". The band took sometime together to discuss said single and this EP release along with much more about themselves and their future.
1. What role do you play in the band?
Dalton: Drums/ Clean Vocals
2. Levels is your namesake, but why is that? Does the name represent a meaning or is it just a name?
It’s just a name, no meaning.
3. What has influenced your sound and style?
A lot of different genres. Anything from 80’s metal to modern metalcore subgenres.
4.What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
We usually write about personal experiences.
5. Do you write your own songs? (Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
We do! Most of the time we’ll meet at the studio and map out what we want the song to consist of. Then we’ll begin by usually a drum track or some guitar riffs and build off of that. As far as lyrics go, Jake writes all of time. Once a song is together musically, he’ll come in and work the lyrics into the song vocally.
6. How do you describe your music to people?
Hard rock & roll
7. What image do you think your music conveys?
Nikes, Windbreakes, & beard
10. Why did you want to make "Slip" a single and video, what is it about this one song, that has such meaning as a song and for you guys as a band.
We hadn’t released anything in awhile and had Slip ready to go. We decided to release it as a single with a music video to give our listeners something to look forward to in the upcoming months. It was the first song we wrote as a full unit. The EP was written a while back by just a few of the guys in the band at the time. Slip was our first song we all got to give our own input on and reflects more of what sound we are trying to go for.
11. What can fans expect from this debut release, how does releasing a debut such as this, all make you feel inside and out?
We’re constantly working on new material. Hopefully we will have a full length ready to go by the end of summer 2017. Releasing Slip has been great! We’ve been ready for the release for some time now, it’s nice to finally get it out to our listeners.
12. What was the writing and recording process like for the EP.
The Exist EP that was released in May of 2016 was written mostly by Dalton and Rob a few years back. Jager came in the picture and helped bring it all together musically. Once the music was finished, Jake put the vocal work in there.
13. Why do you think people should check you guys out and go forth and pick up this EP.
People should check us out because we’re not just another band playing to get big. We’re playing to have fun and travel around to meet and make friends with new people. We really enjoy the music we play and have a lot of fun playing it. We sound like all of the bands you like with a refreshing new spin on it.
14. How would you say you differ from other bands and artists on the scene?
We really try and challenge ourselves with every move we make. We toured out west for two weeks within the first few months of us being a band. We were invited to play So What?! Fest in Dallas, TX and share the stage with many bands we’ve looked up to for many years. We aren’t afraid to take chances and put ourselves out there.
15. What do you want to achieve as a band?
We’d love to get out on the road more often. Maybe hook up with a bigger band of a similar genre and do a US tour. Touring out of the Country is something we’ve all kept in the back of our minds as well. Basically we’d like to keep growing as a band.
16. What does next year hold for you guys?
We’re beginning the year with a Southeast tour with our friends in Voices in Vain from Vermont. After that we have a few local shows lined up then we’ll begin working out details for a Summer tour.
17. Describe Levels in three words.
Nikes, Windbreakers, beard
Michelle ‘Faith' Narayan
Shadow Born Group
Director of Publicity