Alternative modern rockers The Avid Light, have been hard at work upon their latest album titled "Pressures". They feel that the variety of lyrics and music offered upon it, will serve as a connection to a wide range of people. Guitarist Tanner discusses this release, the band, and future.
1. What type of band are you?
Tanner: Alternative/Modern Rock
2. Who are you and what do you do in the band?
Tanner: I am Tanner and I play lead guitar.
3. Tell us the brief history of your band.
Tanner: We’ve been a band for about five years now. Chase (lead singer) and I have been playing music together since middle-school. We officially started the group together in 2010 and after a few lineup changes we added Colton (drums) back in 2011.
4. Who are your musical and non-musical influences?
Tanner: Sigur Ros
5. Who writes the songs, what are they about?
Tanner: Chase writes most of the lyrics to our songs. They mostly talk about personal struggles that we’ve had as individuals and as a group, and how we’ve tried to power through them as time has gone by.
6. What is your latest album and why should people buy it?
Tanner: Our latest album is titled, “Pressures”, and we feel that the variety of lyrics/music displayed in our album will be able to connect with a wide demographic of people.
7. Where did you record your latest release at?
Tanner: We recorded our album at 5th Street Studios in Austin, TX.
8. Who did you go with to produce your record?
Tanner: Our personal friend Aaron Matthew helped us produce the record.
9. Tell us about your experience in the studio recording the new record?
Tanner: It was a lot of fun, and a lot of hard work. We worked 12+ hours on the regular, and we were constantly pushing ourselves to be the best that we could be musically and vocally.
10. Would you say that the band was comfortable in the studio?
Tanner: “Pressures” is our third album, so I guess that you could say that we were pretty comfortable. It was like a home away from home for us.
11. Do you remember the very first time you heard the final mix of the new record and what you were thinking?
Tanner: I remember specifically thinking, “This is awesome and I’m so glad that we’re finally getting close to the finish line.”
12. Why did you think that titling this album "Pressures" was the right choice? Do you think the band was filled with pressures, hence the title?
Tanner: We stand by the album’s title 100%. This past year has presented many new challenges for all of us. We all quit our jobs to do music full-time, and I got married last year. I guess you could say that “Pressures” accurately describes our time writing/recording this record.
13. What about the album's artwork, what does it reference and mean for your music?
Tanner: We went with the thinking statues because we felt that it would represent a “great weight” on the listeners mind, and that the album wasn’t something to take lightly.
14. You released a single "Journey", why go with this particular track, will you be releasing more singles and or videos?
Tanner: “Journey” we felt was a great introduction to our new sound, so that’s why we went with the more upbeat and pop/rock song. We have plans to release more lyric videos in the future as well as a music video (hopefully) down the road.
15. Did you get the album, that you wanted or was there more to it, or stuff left over that we may get to see?
Tanner: The album that you see if exactly what we wanted to put out. There are some more songs in the vault that may yet be used on a future project, but only time will tell.
16. Do you have a favorite song off this album and why is it so?
Tanner: The general favorite between the three of us is either “Strong Enough to Last” or “Rise & Fall”.
17. What does the next year hold for you and your band?
Tanner: We plan to move to write/record more songs, as well as play in new places and take our career to the next level.
18. Why are you called The Avid Light?
Tanner: We hope that our lyrics reflect that there is hope through all of the struggles in life, and that there is light to be found in dark situations.