Created To Kill's last release "Worship Or Die", now that time has come and gone for them they have been hard at work on a follow-up release that blows everything else away. Guitarist Steve Forbes talks about the process, songs, and when this album will be released, as well as touring info.
1. So tell me what has Created To Kill been up too since we last spoke?
Steve: After Worship Or Die went out and we played as many shows as we could to promote it and We got right back to writing as well.
2. Do you ever feel the pressure of being a trio band?
Steve: Yeah our Singer/Bass player has it the roughest doing double duty we have thought about adding a bassist so he could concentrate on vocals.
3. Where are you in the recording process of the new album?
Steve: The new CD is recorded it's being mixed now.
4. Who is producing the album? How has the producer aided the recording process?
Steve: Scott Briggs from the band Aeons Of Eclipse is producing. He helped us with using a click track
to perfect our timing on the recording.
5. Where are you recording the album?
Steve: Velocity Studios in Cave City, KY.
Steve: Pagan Pride Records is in the US and Ungodly Ruin Productions in Europe.
7. How would you describe the overall sound of the new album? How does it compare to Worship or Die?
Steve: Fast and technical old school death metal. The songs on the new album have more structure and having a real drummer instead of the drum machine makes a whole world of difference.
8. Did the band have any definitive goals they were shooting for before the recording process began for this album?
Steve: We definitely wanted to step it up.
9. Are you using any new instrumentation you've never used in the recording process before?
Steve: Not really other than dropping our tuning a half step.
10. When did you start writing for this album? How was the songwriting process different/similar to previous Created to Kill albums?
Steve: We starting writing right after we finished touring in 2009. The process was pretty much the same we each come up with a song or 2 on our own then bring it to the band.
11. Worship or Die was a great success, did you feel any pressure to follow it up?
Steve: Not really we were never really happy with the production on Worship Or Die, but released it anyways. Death's Construction surpass's Worship Or Die in all aspects.Paul coming into the band really helped in the song writing.
12. Can you go into one or two tracks on the new album? If so, can you give us the track title and brief description of how the track sounds and how it came about?
Steve: Self Inflicted Flame Engulfment is one of my favorites it's reminiscent of early Cannibal Corpse full of trills and fake harmonics it was a collage of riffs i had been hanging onto for a while.
The Reaper Always Wins is another one while others took me months to write this one took 2 weeks it all just fell together it was the last track to be written weeks before we were to record it is similar to later Nile in parts.
13. How was the vibe in the studio?
Steve: The vibe was laid back, but intense on perfection.
14. When can we expect the new album to be released?
Steve: The new album will be out in the US on Pagan Pride Records this summer and in the fall in Europe on Ungodly Ruin Productions.
15. What plans do you have for the near future as a band?
Steve: We will be embarking on a 13 date tour in June to promote the new CD including playing the Las Vegas Deathfest and the Foothills Gutfest in Colorado.