With the release of their debut EP "Bad Jokes & Half Truths", Scarlet Serenity have been hard at work becoming a respected Canadian artist in just short of a year. Founder and lead singer Joseph Lawless sat down with us to talk about their latest release and what we can expect from Scarlet Serenity in the future!
1. How would you best describe your sound?
Joseph: To me we're just a rock n roll band. We are heavily influenced by bands like Motley Crue, Guns N Roses and Iron Maiden. We're just trying to be a rock band and bring back the true rock n roll spirit. Nowadays there seems to be a different sub-genre per band and we're trying to stay away from all that and just be true to us.
2. Can you share with us one or two of your favorite moments with the band?
Joseph: I love being in the studio! Making this EP has truely been a life changing and unforgettable experience. All of us quit our jobs, left our homes and came together to pursue this crazy fucking dream! From being homeless to hearing the final product I'm happy to say I loved every second and wouldn't change it for the world.
3. Scarlet Serenity's debut EP 'Bad Jokes & Half Truths' is now available, why should people check it out?
Joseph: Because we're all incredibly sexy and talented! [Laughs] We're pretty good at writing songs too! Plus there's a chick on the album cover, who doesn't dig that?
4. Do you remember the very first time you heard the final mix of the new release and what you were thinking?
5. How do you feel the band has evolved musically and personally over the last year?
Joseph: I feel as if we have all grown a lot closer as friends. You really test yourself when you live in a car with the same dudes for like a year. Some people have limits and boundaries and in the beginning there were some complications but now we're like blood brothers. Nothing is going to stop us.
6. How important do you rate the lyrical side of your EP?
Joseph: We're real. We write songs about real shit that people can connect to. We're young, dumb and full of cum. We aren't the type of band to write a specific song or sound to please the masses. We write music we want to hear and if people enjoy our music that is awesome! If you don't like us, chances are we won't like you either. 10/10.
7. What are your current show/tour plans, if any?
Joseph: We just got back from playing a summer festival called Grizfest. We're talking with some pretty big names and lining up tours for next year. We will be everywhere in 2016.
8. Describe your live performance for those who have never seen you live?
Joseph: It's heavy, it's sweaty, it's sexy. This is rock n roll. We go up there and put on a show like it's our last day to live. We're all over the stage! In all honesty you'll have to come catch a show to get the full experience! We believe that if people take time out of their day to pay hard earned money then they deserve the best damn show we can provide.
9. How has Social Networking (Facebook,Twitter, etc.) impacted your band?
Joseph: Social media has helped us make waves in Canada, US & Europe. Our name is spreading like wildfire and it's really a huge thanks to all of our amazing fans that spread our name through social media. We honestly have the best fans in the world.
10. Why do you think people are into your music?
Joseph: There is substance to our music. We write about real shit and people feed off that. Kids are able to tell who is genuine and who is looking for a paycheck. That's also why we released our EP for free. We just love what we do and people enjoy that about us.
11. What does the next year hold for you and your band?
Joseph: 2016 is going to be INSANE for us. More music, tours and much more! This scene really isn't prepared for what we're about to bring to to the table.
12. Where can our readers find your band on the internet?
Joseph: We're on Facebook, Instagram & YouTube. Just search Scarlet Serenity anywhere on the internet and you'll find us! Download a FREE copy of Scarlet Serenity's "Bad Jokes & Half Truths - EP' - www.facebook.com/OfficialScarletSerenity.