Horror punk rockers The Casket Creatures have been doing their own thing for a while. They have been busy as of late, working upon their new album, with further plans to perform some shows, tour, and so much more, that the band got together to discuss those matters!
1. So what can you tell me about this new album?
Ryan: I can tell you that it is going to be heavier, darker and more extreme than anything we’ve put out. It also still has the catchy hooks and is a lot of fun, but it is a whole new monster!
2. What title did you decide to go with it and is there a meaning behind it?
Derek: It is top secret right now!
3. Is this album going to be a concept release?
Ryan: Somewhat of a concept album. There are going to be multiple stories but with a general theme that’s going to tie them together that will be revealed when you hear the album!
4. Where are you in the process of the new album?
Derek: We have completed all the pre-production for the new album! We are just waiting to go into the studio to get it recorded.
5. Who do you plan to have producing the album?
Ryan: We are looking at James Nation, who produced our “She Screams” EP and mixed our “Sex, Blood and Rock N Roll” CD.
6. Where are you recording the album?
Ryan: Looking like the same place we recorded our last EP which is Snake Mountain Studios in north Georgia!
7. Did the band have any definitive goals they were shooting for before the recording process began for this album?
Ryan: We are always looking to reinvent ourselves and make a difference in each album. It still sounds like The Casket Creatures, but it’s an evolution of the band.
Derek: I concur! I think with the last EP we had great songs as a whole so we expanded on the song writing for the new stuff and I think it will show once you hear the new tunes.
8. Are you using any new instrumentation you've never used in the recording process before?
Ryan: There is some piano dwelling on the new stuff here and there, but that is about it.
9. When did you start writing for this album? How was the songwriting process different/similar to previous releases?
Derek: The first song that we wrote for the new CD we did immediately after we released the EP. So the process starts very quickly!
Ryan: Pretty much after one album comes out we start on the next one.
Derek: We usually go with the same process when writing songs which consists of Ryan and I locking ourselves in a room with PBR and Ouija Boards and consulting the dark forces. Then we come out with an album!
Ryan: We do consult with the other members to get their ideas and input so we can make the best songs we can. We aren’t complete assholes!
10. Did you feel any pressure to do this follow-up?
Derek: We actually did because we all feel like “She Screams” is the best thing we’ve put out…ever. We stepped up many levels on that release and I think that’s why it was only 6 songs! So going into the mindset of writing new material we were like “How do we top this?” But now after hearing all the new stuff laid out I think it will surpass that EP.
11. You released the first song off this album, turning it into a video, the song being "The Final Night" can you discuss this song and how it came about?
Ryan: “The Final Night” is the last song to be released off our last EP “She Screams”. That’s a song we feel didn’t get enough love when the EP was released and maybe a lot of people didn’t get to hear it if they don’t have the album. So we wanted to get it out there and do a video for it. It’s our last “hoorah” for “She Screams”.
Derek: Aaron Romero is the guy who put all that together and we can’t thank him enough because it looks like it was a bitch!
12. How do you think the vibe in the studio will go?
Derek: We are going to kill each other.
13. When can we expect the new album to be released?
Ryan: We are hoping for a release towards the end of this year or early next year!
14. Your band's name can be seen in different ways, I've seen it as The Casket Creatures and without "the" and it being Casket Creatures. Which is the right way to call your band? What does the name refer too?
Derek: People do what they do! Whenever I mention the band I always say “The” Casket Creatures.
Ryan: The name was something cool that was thought up and it stuck so we went with it!
15. Can I get a backstory on the band/ band biography?
Ryan: The band started with us wanting to do something horror themed. We started out just doing it on the weekends then it turned into Holy shit this is way more fun than any serious project we were doing, so let’s make our horror project our serious project and The Casket Creatures were formed!
16. What bands have influenced your band and its sound?
Ryan: We have a ton of influences all over the place from Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Misfits, etc.We try to incorporate all the stuff we are into, into our music but also have our own sound.
Derek: I have always thought we fit in more with the European horror bands (The Other, The Crimson Ghosts, etc) because they are way heavier and I felt we have always had a heavier edge than the U.S. horror punk bands, so we definitely take inspiration and influence from them!
17. What lyrical theme do you guys use in your music? What message do you want to send?
Ryan: We don’t really have a message. We like to get drunk, sing about monsters and watch horror movies! We have a lot of fun doing it so if there is a message it’s just Have fun, drink and watch horror movies!
18. What made you guys decide to form a band?
Ryan: We were are all musicians separately with other projects, we all love horror movies, we love horror punk/rock, so once we met up it was just natural to start a band!
19. What can the fans expect to see from you in the future?
Ryan: Things are changing for sure. There’s a new attitude, new look, new sound, but it’s still us. We are excited for what is to come!
Derek: We are re-vamping our set list, we are going to be adding more theatrics and production to our stage show this fall. I feel like we have always been a strong live band, but we want to make the show more of a show in a way. Lots of cool ideas, don’t miss us this fall!
20. Is that your final answer?